Tuesday, August 30, 2011

I'm disgusted!

As a mother I have to air my disgust. In a matter of a week, we have had incidents with our local police. One was involved in a DUI incident where he was driving his patrol car home after a night of drinking and crashed head on in to another vehicle. The second is an officer who was arrested and in jail for sex crimes against minors. How can I tell my children to trust police if they are doing this? I tell my kids that if they are lost go find a policeman and give them mommy and daddy’s phone number. Now, it’s getting to the point that we as parents can’t do that any more. The people that are supposed to help protect our kids are the ones we as parents now need to be protecting them against.
Now I know why as a parent, I am there 24/ 7 for my children. I now know why I will not let them out to ride their bikes alone, or why I take them and pick them up from school. Some of my neighbors’ questions why I don’t let them ride the bus especially when it picks up and drops off right on our corner. It’s because of cases like these.  What is a better rouse then being a cop and having that ability to easily lure kids in to your patrol car?  

I understand and know that in every group there are bad apples. But it is getting more common place with our law enforcement officers, school teachers and preachers. I remember back when our kids were smaller and we were looking at daycares incase I decided to go back to work. I would not go in to one if there was a man working there. I would have never trusted that.
 I do honestly lay a lot of the blame on social media sites; the internet has made it so easy to lure kids. And again it comes down to parental controls and knowing what your kids are doing, who they talk to, and who their friends and friends’ parents are.  

7 comments:

  1. I remember once upon a time when a civil service job was a calling. Sure, it may be dangerous with low pay (firefighter and police), or just low pay (I want to work for the state, even if the pay is $15K/year lower than in the private sector for engineering), but it was a calling and something to be proud of. I am proud that my dad worked for East Baton Rouge Parish (county) for all those years.

    However, those times have come and gone. Public unions have made it possible that the public sector is making more and more money and benefits with a decrease in the service aspect. I know a few fellas that should have smelled the bottom of the swimming pool years ago, but they still have a job because the unions make it impossible to fire them. So they still produce mediocre work and bend all the rules to get what they want. Or even worse, here in a small community, it’s the good ole boy rules here. The county offices are full of people that are all related. They almost have to shut down the county if the Salazar family reunion is happening. It’s just sickening.

    But change is coming, I hope. The town next to me just had a bad year of embezzling, police brutality, and other stupid crimes that make you distrust even local government. They have hired a new mayor, a new chief of police and small police force (from out of state), a new town manager (from Wyoming), and hopefully I will get the Asst. Director of Public Works job (I’m not from the area originally), all in the last few months.

    My kids will have a healthy distrust for the law enforcement here. They will learn how to protect and defend themselves. The sheriff won’t come out to our house unless there is a body, so we have to be on our own anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make it a rule not to be too trusting until I get to know someone. What they do for a living doesn't enter into it. I have a cousin who was a preacher. He was counseling the lonely women in his church. He counseled them so well that he had to flee town one step ahead of an enraged husband. Now he sells cemetery plots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My youngest brother thinks I am a paranoid nut. I drive Bug to and from school. Her unsupervised play area is only about 10 -15 houses long. An L shape. She can't go in a house unless I know the adults ever. She has a phone now for when she is out. She and Monkey are never left with anyone we don't know well. We have to watch and suspect everyone these days. It sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mud-the officer that was in the DUI accident had bottles in his patrol car, but not arrested-Gee I can imagine why. He was in the brotherhood...

    Arsenius- Sells cememtary plots? hilarious! if he doesnt watch his flandaring ways, one of those plots will be for him.

    Lila- Yes it totally sucks! especially when even police officers are now the child molesters..

    ReplyDelete
  5. They used to call cops "Peace officers" now they want to be "Law Enforcement" the idea I guess is they can force you to do something.
    Duke.

    ReplyDelete
  6. JUGM- as a paranoid father of three little girls I understand completely. My wife has started telling them that if they're lost that they should look for a Mommy with children to ask for help. They too ask why they don't get to go to sleepovers with the new kid at school. We just tell them that they will understand one day that not everyone is as nice as they look and bad guys come in all forms.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Duke- never thought of that before..but i think you're right.

    hillbilly- I watch too much of the "criminal minds" TV series.. but watching that has made me think twice about people, and the tactics they would go to to lure kids..some of the episodes are very chilling.

    ReplyDelete