Our kids started back to school yesterday. The schools principal initiated changes that have upset the parents. No longer can we “walk up” to the school when the bell rings to get our little ones. We have to be in a car. So traffic was a nightmare, and some parents had to wait for up to 2 hours to get their kids. The line was so long that it stretched out on to a U.S Highway and was backing up the normal flow of traffic.
Other parents took it upon themselves to walk up anyways. And were turned back and told they could not take their kids unless they were in a car. This angered many people. How dare they tell parents they can not get their children! I mean who do these people think they are?
With the flow of traffic not moving, and the gas gage dwindling as I ran the A/C I took it upon myself to park and walk, one way or the other I was getting my children.
The scene at the school was nothing short of utter chaos. I waited patiently at a gate, maintained my rage, and my children were allowed to leave with me. Other parents followed suit. Who said there is no strength in numbers….
Once home I called the Superintendents office. And launched a formal complaint, he as well could not understand the change or:” What the principal is thinking” I was promised a phone call back to day with an update, it is now mid-day and no call.
I do understand in every situation that there are “kinks” that need to be worked out. I know that in a few weeks the traffic will probably die down as more parents allow their kids to ride the bus. But it’s the simple fact that the school should not dictate to parents how and when we choose to pick up our kids, God knows we all ready have too much government involvement in our lives, we don't need any more.
One thing I learned when I was teaching. Most school policy is not about the kids, or the parents, or the teachers. It's about the administrators and making their lives safe and easy. Most administrators are people who couldn't hack it in the classroom and so they took some more courses and became administrators. I realize this is a sweeping statement and there are exceptions, but I taught for three years and I know where of I speak.
ReplyDeleteHey, at least the boys will get to 'interact' with others there age....
ReplyDeleteI warned you. Now, having that off my chest, it's crazy. Sorry.
Arsenius- I do believe your statement, I can see that with this principal, it seems to be all about making her job easy and not the parents. I swear she went to some online college..
ReplyDeleteYes Stephen.. I know, I know I know....
ReplyDelete