Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Pensions and Stuff

Believe it or not, I am still here. This morning Senior asked me If I had looked at his blog post from last night. I said "No, I really haven't been on blogger on almost two weeks" which he then said "yea I know"
So now this is me, checking in on blogger and doing a post. I breezed through some of the blogs I followed and left a comment or two.
That darn bronchitis was kicking my butt as well as Seniors, then the boys started with it. Then ND brought home a stomach bug. Thankfully it was short lived, but not before making the rounds through all four of us.

And while all that was going on, My brother decided to become ( actually he all ready was one) a complete and vicious SOB. Senior said something to him he did not like, and took it personally. Then all "you know what" ensued. Now we are not speaking. He is back living out in Washington state with his Raleigh party girl and her teenage son, which BTW did NOT make it in to the Army.. 
That is the same kid that my  brother picked up in a walmart parking lot, the one he was trying to help out...yep!  no Army for him. So, my brother and his train wreck life are way the heck out there,  As far as I am concerned family or not, he can stay there.  *SIGH*

Now there is my parents, my dad is worried about his pension. The man worked 35 years as a firefighter and retired gracefully. Now the city wants to play with pension reform. That money is owed to my dad, and every one else who has retired from a career.
Plus, look at the recent vote by the federal government in reference to  veterans  pension and disability...  *sigh*   really does get me worked up, because these folks signed a contract when they enlisted and to me if pensions are taken away then the government is in breach of those contracts. 
That is just my thought on the entire situation.
Can't we all agree that there are other programs that can be cut? ie: EBT cards, or SNAP ?
The other day I ran in a gas station while Senior waited. A young girl was in front of me..she purchased gas for her car, cigarettes, and lotto tickets..and do you know how she paid for it? with her EBT card. Then, she gets in her car, which was a brand spanking new GMC Acadia. 
"GRRRRRRR" I thought. So much abuse of the system. And you can tell when a person is paying with that card, because the cashier goes to a special register for it.

Okay now my pension rant is over... I hope Senior will be happy I posted something..

-JUGM


24 comments:

  1. I've had the bronchitis bug myself for about 4 weeks now, and I'm tired of it. Antibiotics, steroids, and cough syrup....At least they were available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had this stuff since before Christmas, and it is still on going. My sons teacher had dealt with it for over 4 mos. and finally going to a pulmanologist..

      Delete
  2. Well with the exception of military pensions, which I did not serve long enough to get so no personal bias on my part, I have never agreed with them. Public sector employment should be no different from private sector with everyone responsible for their own retirement. Maybe a bit of 401K matching but politicians really have no right making promises on the public's dime because we end up in situations just like we are seeing. Boom times and bust times and the pensions are simply not sustainable.

    I do agree though that we need to cut other government spending first. Welfare shouldn't be anymore the politicians realm than pensions for that matter.

    I know many people were made promises but no one is shielding the private sector employees who have had their pensions cut or saw the funds go insolvent. I lost quite a bit when one of mine went belly up a few years ago so now I will never see that money. Other companies just dropped the ones they had promised their employees.

    Military pensions have not been bloated and allowed to get out of control like other public sector ones. There are going to be a lot of people in for a shock over the next few years but the public pensions are particularly in the spotlight because they were abused in so many cases.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh Gurlie - just noticed you had a new post up while checking through my blogroll. just wanted you to know that i am still here. now i am off to read your post...it's about pensions and stuff...i am sure i will get my "dander up in a duff". much love to you and yours. back again when i finish reading your post!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh Gurlie - i am so sorry that the bronchitis has been kicking your ass. you need garlic, ginger, apple cider vinegar with the mother in it and honey...put it all in a cup and pour boiling hot water over it. steep for 5 mins...then either guzzle it (it tastes pretty foul but if you put enough honey in it you can hide the taste), or if yer tough as i know you are, sip it for a half an hour. it's called antibiotics in a cup.

    hon, a detailed email coming about family...sometimes you got to cut them loose. for all of my military career, during security clearance evaluations, i was told in great detail what my criminal family members were up to. i am really glad that i kept in absolute-no-contact with them. i could have never maintained my clearance otherwise. sometimes, you have to cut family loose and let them make their own decisions...and if a time comes in the future that you can mend those relationships...then by all means do so. if not, you were always probably better without them. i am not trying to hurt you as i know how much family means to you.

    and now you are ranting about pensions?!?!?!?! oh Gurlie - please stop! i am about to have a coronary!!! pensions for military members, fire fighters, police...people who every day of their 20-35yr career put their lives on the line??? people who, for the most part, serve because they are patriotic and want to help people??? (ok - not the last 15yrs of the swat team police nuts). Pioneer Preppy - i love you buddy - but anyone who serves in any of these 3 fields, like firefighting, police, and military, - who signs up knowing full well they could be coming home in a body bag for whatever reason - you think they rate up there with an IT guy, like my husband...who worked a very cushy private service job and made a fortune are in the same class??? oh my gawd, don't get me started! i'll lose an eyeball from it popping out of my head.

    PP- you, of all people, will have to agree with me that some private dude's secretary, who worked for 25yrs and DIDN'T save a single cent of her $30,000 a year salary is WAAAAAAAY less deserving of a public paid pension than someone like Senior who served on leaky boats, in gawd knows where, WAS ALWAYS on call, and in one year was only home with his family for like 24 days.

    oh PP, my favourite honey-bee raiser, my good buddy and friend who is always goading me into being more political - YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW MY VIEWS ON SOME THINGS LIKE MILITARY VRS. PUBLIC PENSIONS! i'd make you cry and i wouldn't even need the ass-kicking boots. and to top it off, buddy - All Yer Honeys Belongs To ME! no buddy, it never gets old and stop goading me. i means it - bahahahha!

    Gurlie - whenever you feel the need to vent, you know where i am. and this is YOUR blog - you write about whatever you feel like. we'll support you when you are right - and kick you in the ass when you are wrong - bahahahahah! i love you, hon. your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kymber - I believe I said military pensions were fine as they were did I not? Although the caveat for that is that the US should NOT have the standing military of the size it does have either.

      In fact the entire premise goes back to that original concept. From firemen to even law enforcement very small numbers of full timers and a pool of volunteers when numbers are needed.

      So no firefighters and LEO's etc. should have never been promised pensions on the public dime, they should have never been hired in the numbers they were hired in to begin with. There are plenty of private sector jobs out there that are just as dangerous some perhaps in different ways but also just as physically demanding and we expect those people to not only provide for their own retirement but work until 65 as well.

      However the point or opinion really doesn't matter at all. Even those pension plans that are considered in good shape are barely 80% covered these days and that is with some very creative accounting practices and a lot of wishful thinking on returns. When you look at the real numbers none of those plans are going payout even a third of the overall totals.

      Either a lot of someone's are not going to get what they feel they are owed or they are going to inflate the FIAT money to the point it won't be worth squat for everyone anyway. My advise would be don't plan on a pension and begin making other arrangements.

      Delete
    2. PP: My dad paid a percentage every month for 35 years towards his retirement/pension. Do you believe that he is living off stolen money? I can't look at my dad and say " sorry about that, you should have planned better" This was money he paid in to it. This man put his life on the line and almost lost it several times.

      It is not his fault or the fault of the other millions of retired public servants that city government and federal government mis-used what was owed back to these people.
      And I beg to differ..but I have other family members that worked and retired in private sector jobs, and they paid in to a pension fund. I think that is simply up to the employer. and in this case the employer was government and they are in breech of contract.
      In my dads case...the city government actually took those pension funds and invested them all in the stock market, then they pay out the funds from the dividends they recieve from those stocks. which I believe was a poor decision.

      it is like with Social Security, Folks who worked hard and paid the tax for it are being penalized because it has been poorly mismanaged by the federal government. So much to the fact that my generation and next can not depend on that for retirement.

      I am trying hard here to find the right words to express my sentiments. but in a nutshell... It is a royal screw job towards people that gave the most.

      Delete
    3. JuGM - OK let's look at this from a different angle. First off don't take it personally but yes I believe any taxes collected by any government for payment in areas that they have no right to be offering is theft. If that pisses you off sorry but that is how I see it.

      Secondly I am not bashing anyone's particular job effort but those dangers/risks should be dealt with in the wage check not in promises against others paying in the future. My particular feelings towards everyone handling their own retirements are pretty non-biased and across the board.

      Thirdly no government should be allowed to make promises beyond their current needs. Payment for services should be up to date yearly if they want to offer private sector like 401k's so be it but the government entity should not be on the hook for it. Sure the fund invested but I would bet you a large amount of money they shorted a few payments tot he fund for some other improvement then floated a bond to make up the difference.... rinse repeat. That is what happens when governments are on the hook for future needs, it's what they do and why pensions should not be in their power to grant.

      Now on to the different angle. All of us have been promised something whether it's a pension, social security, certain services whatever. We are all in this together and likewise every last one of us is going to be screwed. At this point paying the pensioners in full is going to screw over the young people and those who live in whatever area is making the payments. It will mean no street lights, no maintenance etc. yet the property owners and businesses will still have to pay. It's not a matter of who is right or who is wrong it is a matter of deciding who is going to get screwed the hardest.

      Now if you ask me I would be all for stopping any and all welfare payments and applying that money to pensions but the federal government isn't going to do that and frankly if you look at the overall pension liabilities even shifting all welfare spending to pensions wouldn't cover it in full.

      Now if we stopped all educational spending it could be done. Education amounts to slightly more per year than pensions overall BUT in another year or two it won't.

      So the reality is if anyone is going to champion pensions and demand they need to be paid for whatever reason they also need to decide who get's screwed over harder so the pensioners get their full payments. Because at this stage of the game someone is going to get shafted.

      Delete
    4. I agree on all the welfare reform. But I am sorry PP. My dad and millions others paid monthly into a pension fund, that would be saved for them until retirement. And it has not been They mishandled my fathers money, and what is legally due him. It was not just a promise made, but in a written contract.
      And maybe our country would have money for all those things like maintanence and street lights, if we weren't spending billions on the studying the mating habits of some insect. Or spending millions on lawn care for some embassy. They don't have to punish those who worked hard, paid in to it and retired for their mismanagement.

      Delete
    5. Kymber I May have to try to elixer prescription..thanks!

      And thanks for your sentiment. it is truely a messed up thing, and innocent people are having to pay the price for it.
      And Yes..I know if I need to vent, where you are.
      Actually Senior was gone one year 356 out of 365...totally sucked!

      About my brother...he is a vicious Jerk... I just don't want to see or talk to him. He hit below the belt, and said some very mean and hurtful things, and threw some outrageous accusations out there..

      Delete
    6. JuGM you will get no argument from me on any of those points although really the money they use for those things is not from the same pool we are talking about with local pensions.

      I am just calling em as I see em not trying to single any one out in particular but this whole fiasco is what happens when governments begin competing with private sector for employees and offering long term benefits. If the company goes to far it goes belly up and bully for those who believed in it. Not so with the governments and someone/everyone is going to suck it up.

      Now I could just say you are right and sympathize with the injustice of the thing, it won;t make any difference in the end, but really what kind of a sustainable/prepper/survivalist would I be if I was unable to face the facts and lay it out honest like? And it isn't just your father it's going to be me, you, everyone before this thing is over.

      As I have said before the best thing to do is get as much as you can and make plans for other arrangements. It is my belief we are all going to be living a different lifestyle shortly anyway so I am not stressing on pensions. I mean if I did then that would kinda mean I assumed the collapse isn't going to come now wouldn't it?


      Delete
    7. I just feel that local, state or federal....on all levels the powers that Be have screwed with money that is owed back to people who have worked a career, and paid in to it.
      Like I told Duke...the local government can give 43 million to a sports team to update their stadium....but are either closing fire stations, or not building any news ones because of budget shortfalls.... ( face palm)

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear from ya...missed ya!
    Sounds like everybody may be passed the illness you all were running thru....
    As for the pension deal I feel the same...it can quickly anger someone when seeing improper payment of the intended assistance from the gov't. And the terrible injustice of the gov't towards those who deserve it!!!
    I am done now....
    Glad to see ya back...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. missed you guys too! my soapbox on pension reform and welfare reform could go on all night. it is so frustrating

      Delete
  6. JUGM,

    I'm glad to hear everyone is starting to feel better after dealing with bronchitis and the stomach flu.

    What's that old say......oh, "You can pick your friends but you can't pick your family".
    You both tried to help them, it's obvious they don't want any further help. Our oldest daughter is the same way. So we've washed our hand, had no choice.

    Talking about ebt cards, and welfare checks. Did you hear in Colorado, several of the pot selling stores allowed the use of the ebt cards?? I'm so over all this fraudulent use of ebt cards and welfare. Those who really need welfare can't seem to get it however, those who don't seem to get it with no problem. Like the girl at the gas station.

    And I can't even go there with pensions without getting really ticked off, so I'm keeping my mouth shut :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet Sandy-- I did hear about that out in CO. Which is another reason my brother moved back to WA so he and party girl could smoke weed.
      Yes I have to wash my hands of my brother..going to be hard though when the folks die, and IF he shows up to my neices wedding in May...my sister and I are betting he doesn't.

      Delete
  7. Glock Mom...I am so sorry for you and you family's sickness. I have just been able to get out of bed the past few days. I feel like I've been run over by a train.

    I won't even go into family issues. Seems a lot of that is going around. Just hope everything resolves itself to your liking. Take care. I'll say a little prayer for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that "runover" feeling. Just seems like we will never clear this stuff up.

      Family *sigh* such a mess. I knew how my brother was, and I allowed myself and my family to get too close to him. I felt like we have been bit by a pit viper..he is just that mean

      Delete
  8. I agree with you about pensions. A person puts in their time, they should derive the accrued benefits they were promised. If not, how can they plan for retirement. How can they retire? Messing with military pensions is sickening. It's done by people who sit on their fat derrieres in safe, comfortable offices. They always go home at night to a good meal and a comfortable environment. They've never risked anything in their lives. They make sure they have good pension plans and health benefits, but have no qualms about stealing from people who lived a very hard, risky life style and earned those benefits. It makes me sick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sentiment is this....that people like my dad paid into it And because of no fault of his own, those funds have been compromised and mishandled.
      essentially it is stealing.And a breech of contract.

      Delete
  9. As long as EBT and SNAP 'buys' Votes, that will continue, to hell with the rest of us and what we are OWED... Sorry y'all haven't been feeling well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We are on the upswing of this crud...still sounds crummy when we cough though...

      Delete
  10. JUGM, I have a little insight on the pension fund your dad is in and I doubt it will get messed with. That pension has a lot of federal strings attached because they did not pay into social security but instead paid it into the pension fund. They may change it for newer employees but not retirees. IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Duke! My dad is 80 and just stresses. Especially when he hears rumors around the Credit Union, and the City pays 43 million for a new scoreboard,and renovations to the stadium, but shutting down fire stations and etc...

    ReplyDelete