I wish I could say it went off well, and for the most part it did...Except for the 830am phone call from my dad saying that mom was sick with the flu and could not make it...I would believe that if for the fact of :
#1. She did not do this all the time- it was half expected from my sister and I. And
# 2. She did not sit across from me at the Easter dinner table, voicing her concerns and disdain over going....
I understand my mothers mental state, when she gets out of her comfort zone she freaks. But this day was special , a lot of planning and money was spent to make it a success and it would have been nice for my mother to be there and share in it with her grandaugter. *sigh*
I ordered a cake from a local baker. She is so sought after and such an amazing artist that I had to call her in February to hire her for the last weekend in April. She created a tropical carrot cake with pastel pink and green fondet. It was beautiful, and killed my niece to run a knife through it.
When she got to the picture I did for them, she teared up and passed it around for every one to see. It was a hit and she loved it!.
*sigh* now I am glad it is over, next up for the weekend of May 17 is the wedding...then saying goodbye as the newlyweds move to another state. So many changes this year for my family.......
-JUGM
Everything looks lovely and the cake is a show stopper. Have you shown the picture you did for your daughter and soon to be husband? Have I missed it? Could you show it?
ReplyDeleteThanks so much, yes it was a lovely afternoon, and as fabulous as the cake looked, it also tasted just as good...
ReplyDeleteyes the pic I did for them is shown on my post from this past Friday.
So far so good right?? My wife and I had none of this when we married. Thank god. LOL Hope everything else is well. We have had rain for the last several days. I miss the Fla sun. ;)
ReplyDeleteyes..I can say that my sister, niece, and brother in law, have paid off every one associated with the wedding...
ReplyDeleteI am really hoping for buckets and buckets of rain tonight. I have concession duty at the little league field, and do not feeling like dishing out nachos and cheese to overweight women wearing tight clothes and cigerettes hanging out of their mouths...
Well that image just made me lose my apatite. The new diet craze fat women in tight clothes..gag....What about having a food truck show up to feed the masses, so folks don't have to take turns missing the kids games??
DeleteIts the local demographics...lol.
DeleteWe dont have concessions when our team is playing. But the food truck has been suggested and gets over looked. I think it is an awesome idea because team coaches wont have to worry about
Parental volunteers for concession duty. On our team with 12 kids..only three parents have stepped up for it...
When we got married, the other Navy women on the base gave Miriam a bridal shower. The other Marine officers at the base and the Naples barracks gave me a bachelor party, but it was really sedate because the barracks commander was straight laced and the Italians don't do big riotous parties for just men. It was a good time, though..
ReplyDeleteWhen we got married at the Navy Amphib Base at Little Creek, I didn't invite a single, solitary soul and made arrangements in advance for the base chaplain to marry us. But her parents came, and my parents came, and people I didn't even know came. It was a lot more stressful than it had to be and I was glad when they all left.
I like that cake. Nice to admire, nice to eat! Sorry your mom didn't make it. We geezers and geezerettes can be difficult.
That is some wedding story there Harry...one that i know you guys have always looked back on and smile about.
DeleteSenior and I got married at NS Mayport...the chaplain told us we would not last a year. We celebrate our 20th in Nov.
JUGM,
ReplyDeleteYou did a beautiful job on preparing and giving this shower.
I knew your gift would touch Diana's heart :-)
What a lovely cake, and carrot a favorite of many......YUM!!!
I'm sorry your mom wasn't there but it's okay because the shower was beautifully done.
Sending hugs to you ((((JUGM)))).
Thanks for those hugs...needed one about right now. Yes my niece loved it so very much. And it gave a few of the ladies there at the shower a future gift idea.
DeleteI did it as well for my own family, and it came out awesome.
There was a low turn out for the shower..so three days later we are still snacking on carrot cake...lol : )
All in all, I'd say it was a win... Just sayin...
ReplyDeleteYou did great on the the shower! Everything looks amazing :))))
ReplyDeleteWe have one more week of softball. I will be glad when it's over. It take a lot of time every week and I'm ready for Summer!!!!
Baseball ends the last week of May..then the boys and I are off to spend summer up at the estate in SC
DeleteGurlie - if i had have been the one to pick up the cake, i would have put it my fridge and whipped out a box of betty crocker and made some nice designs on it - bahahaha! that cake is awesome. i am glad that she loved the framed pic that you made...honestly, it is going to be my trademark around here for birthdays, xmas, weddings, etc. sorry about your mom not being there but as you say, she is very anxious when out of her comfort zone. much love to you and yours always!
ReplyDeleteyour friend,
kymber
Gurlie...for what I paid for the cake. They delivered it at no charge....it killed us to cut it... but it was awesome
DeleteShortly if my email is working I will email you the pic I did for my own family....its just as awesome. All the shower guest loved it and some said they were stealing the idea.....
Now my sister is worried mother wont come to the wedding..... i hope that does not happen