Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Canned butter..and other stuff

 I have been trying to get to this post for a few days now, but every time I sit down to type..something happens and I have to stop. So here is attempt number 1000

First off..an apology: I was watching "Jimmy Kimmel Live" last week..because I think his monologues are really funny. And saw where Julianne Hough a" Dancing with the Stars" judge was going to be on. They announced the contestants for this current season..one of them was Sasha Obama. I commented to Harry and Sandy about this over the weekend, and I tuned in Monday to watch..only No Sasha Obama..  I searched and searched the web for an answer, and other people who heard that announcement was just as perplexed as I.
I can only assume that it was a mess up on the part of Kimmel, or Secret Service scrubbed her competing due to security concerns...  oh well.

Now, on to other things... Everyone else has been canning butter, so Senior and I jumped on board this past weekend with it as well. I found a really good recipe for it: End Times Report-Canning Butter. The one thing I liked about this recipe was it did not need pressure canning or a water bath.
So It was very easy to accomplish.




The folks over at ETR also have a good recipe for canning hard cheese such as cheddar. One that we will most likely try out this weekend.

We have had lots of rain here since Saturday...our garden is a nightmare. But, weather is turning cooler and I had to go dig out the boys "Winter Wear". I say winter wear but really coming from Florida to these parts it is more like "Fall Wear" . My Neice is also in the same boat, moving from Florida to PA. She awoke Tuesday morning to 45 ldegrees...She is a true Florida Girl, and all ready missing the warmth. Plus every thing is gas there, so she has to learn how to regulate her heating usage. It's going to suck for her this winter.. 

School is almost out for the day, so I am off here to go fetch the kids..  Have a good day everyone!

-JUGM

17 comments:

  1. Back in 2004, soon to be exactly 10 years ago in December, I moved from Naples to back home (near) Memphis, TN. I went from 80's weather to an ice storm 2 weeks later. I froze my rear off that winter.

    Don't know much about canning butter... but the photos make it look tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg you lived in Naples? that is like a whole other country. Really anything south of the cape is another country. I bet you did freeze. My neice is going to be up the creek, she does not do extreme cold weather.

      Delete
    2. Yes, it was like living in the northeast though.

      Here I was at the Bottom of I75 on the west coast, but there were so many folks from Boston and new york that they look at me, with my southern accent like I had just landed from the moon. People would ask me where I was from and I'd say from the south..... which is north of here. Then I'd eith walk away or just stand there and watch their faces while they tried to figure it out.

      anytime it dipped below 70 there, people would drag out their parkas like it was Alaska and I'd just keep on wearing my short sleeves. Naples could be a fun place, but it was just too freaking expensive to live there. Gas was always way too high and if you needed to bail out of the area for a hurricane you could forget it.

      Delete
    3. Yup ! same way where we lived in Florida..one chilly day and it was parkas and snow boots.

      Senior and I were stationed once in CT. OMG--talk about fish out of water. I worked several different jobs while living there and I was made the source of many jokes. And things all had different names...like a "sub sandwhich" up there they are called "Grinders" a coke to me is coke no matter the brand...up there its "Soda" . Seniors face turned red once when we went out for BBQ and he ordered corn bread...it was more like cake, and he asked the waitress where the icing was..lol
      And EVERY THING was expensive..Thank God we did not have kids then. Everytime we headed home on leave, we would stop at the first Hardees we could find off 95 for a Steak Biscuit...lol

      Delete
  2. Canning Butter is always a good idea but how do the lids seal if you're not using a pressure canner or a wash?

    Winter can be a real pain in the butt I admit but if I had to guess once the collapse gets going full tilt low temps and snow will be welcomed. Time to take it a bit easier, rest, repair and not have to be as watchful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually researched wether to pressure can/water bath or not. I found people who do both. I decided not to. It is really the USDA telling us to do it. And since the governement urges it, that made me not want to do it ( yea i am a rebel) I sterlized my jars at 250 in the oven, and sterlized my lids. I heard the familiar ping as well.

      When the collapse happens, it will be the cold weather to determine who makes it and who doesn't.

      Delete
    2. http://www.preparednesspro.com/to-bottle-or-not-to-bottle-butter

      Delete
  3. JUGM,

    I bet Secret Service stopped the dancing deal because the location/set would have left her open to problems. What ever the reason the tax payers don't have to pay for the added security.

    Canning butter without using pressure caner or water bath. I've never tried canning butter, I've always placed butter in the freezer. I would worry about it breaking down after several months. I'm just a worry wart when it comes to canning, that just me.
    The picture above looks good, congrats on canning butter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first time.I was nervous and still am. I have read to pressure can it, and not. I did not can a large amount so if it should go bad, I am not out a lot. and it will be a lessoned learned.

      Yea, I think it was more a security issue, it would have been a nightmare if you were a audience member. However little Sadie Robertson is on the show, and I am so proud of her Christian Stance she made..I hope she does well.

      Delete
    2. I haven't watched this program in ages. If Duck Dynasty's little girl is on I hope she wins.

      Delete
  4. I haven't heard of that in years... My grandmother canned butter... sigh

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gmom, its easier to add layers to stay warm then to strip down to stay cool. Due to the temp drop last week, we are all sick with colds. Happens every year. Now that you canned your butter can it file for welfare???

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see Vicki over at moms scribbles canned butter too. I will follow ya both and see how it goes...canned vs not. I like Sandy freeze my butter but if ya dont have electric? Something for me to ghink about. Plus the butter quality around here isnt worth canning...I miss the amish creamy butter...
    As far as the Sasha deal....you just never know...I would bet the SS guys talked Obama out of that one...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gurlie - i am pretty proud of you for canning that butter - it's something i want to start doing too, but like Sandy, i freeze mine. takes up room in the freezer and i have read a bazillion blogs of people canning their butter so it must work! i also have read that you pressure can it, don't pressure can it, water bath it, don't water bath it - but so many people have used the method that you used - again, it must work. we get really good butter here so i think after our glut of a harvest is in, processed and put up - i think i will try this butter canning thing, too. like you, though, i will only do a small amount to make sure that we like it. but even if we don't like it - in the event of SHTF, we'll need a new way to store butter. thanks for the info!

    much love, as always, to you and yours! your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gurlie, I must have researched the subject for a week. Some people do, some don't. the ones that don't said every thing was fine, and they have gone as long as 3 years before opening up a jar. I may open up one of these in a month or two and if I am here to blog about it then we will all know.. lol

      My only concern with freezing it is, what if you lose power? I saw a blogger did a post about canning butter and she lived way up in Alaska with no electricity, so she had no choice but to can it, and was also one of those who did not pressure can or water bath it.

      End times report also has a goone one about doing hard cheeses much the same way. I am attempting that one this coming weekend..will let every one know how it turns out..

      love to you guys as well!

      Delete
  8. I want to start canning. I think hubby and I will start together. Thanks for great ideas! Are you enjoying NC??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. actually SC.. But yes, we sure are. It has been a serious economic adjustment, and I mean that in a good way, cost of living is so much better here than FL.
      How about you? How is life in Cary? my brother in law told me they have some good friends that live there.
      Yes you guys should start canning, if you ever need tips just let me know.

      Delete