Thursday, September 4, 2014

back to getting prepared



Recent world events, including twelve missing Libya jetliners has given Senior and I a much needed kick in the butt to resume our prepping operations. I admit with the move we have grown a bit lax.

I have begun saving two-liter drink bottles, adding a few drops of bleach and using them for water storage. I  guess the chicken project and adding a winter garden could also be included in our return to prepping. As we have completed both. Now it is a matter of watching the veggies and chickens grow.

Like I said ; 12 stolen planes, Americans joining terror groups, the 9/11 anniversary, and a President who honestly does not give a S--- from one week to the next.  If those things do not scare a person in to being prepared, then  I don't know what will.

- JUGM

26 comments:

  1. You are right in every way. Scary, Isn't it? We can't have a winter garden.....or much of a summer one either in this climate. Lots of chickens, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chickens are good, that is why we got in to raising them..they serve so many purposes. I would not worry about the garden thing, stock up on some dehydrated items, Senior and I have switiched over to that instead of canned foods..lightweight and easier to carry if we need to do a serious bug out.

      Delete
  2. Gurl - if all of the crazy that has been happening in the world does not scare a person into getting prepared, then i, too, don't know what will. have you thought about getting rainbarells and setting up your own berkey? you only need the filters - you don't have to buy a berkey. jam made us a berkey filtration system using 2 5 gallon buckets and 4 berkey filters. the filters last a good 5yrs if not longer. do a google search on homemade berkey filters and you will get all kinds of images and hits on how to do it. jam and i saved for years in order to have a lifetime supply of filters. we use water collected from our rainbarrels and run through the berkey for our drinking water. it means we don't have to store water and frees up space. jam's berkey filters filter 4 gallons of rainwater a day. it might be something to look in to.

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG Kymber....just Googled this and lights went off in my head. Thank you for this information!

      Delete
    2. Yup thanks for that Info. I will look it up as well. Yes we have rainbarrels, and also large garbage cans for rainwater storage. But if we need to leave this locatioin, I can't tote a rainbarrel. We also have filters in our BOB's.
      I guess it is like having a back up plan to the back up plan..can't have enough..right?

      Delete
    3. Well, we are in a situation where we will shelter in place. Hardly any people here and we are secluded.....kinda like Kymber. I agree about the dehydrated and freeze dried foods.

      Delete
    4. Tewshooz - you are very welcome and i love sharing knowledge,ideas and experience with people who will run with it and make something even better! and i know that you will!

      JUGM, Gurlie - if anyone can hump a rainbarrel on their back for a few miles it's you! i have no trouble believing that at all!

      and Gurlie 16 is 4 and 24 is 8 and all of that crap. just have back-ups is all that we need to know! love you hon!

      Delete
    5. We also made our own water filtration system using Mike Yukon's instructions a while back and it works great. The filters may cost you a little money but it's well worth it because they last a long time.

      Delete
    6. Being prepared is a good thing, everything you can put away to help your family is beneficial. Kymber is dead on with making your own water filtration system instead of buying an expensive already built system, make your own. It's easy to make, we used Mike Yukon's instructions on making one a while back. This filtration system is used daily in our home, and we made an extra system stored away for bugging out. September 11th is coming back around the corner, and hubby and I worry about the missing aircraft, along with the fact our government isn't doing a darn thing to take care of our country and protect our well being.

      Delete
  3. He doesn't care because he knows something else is up, perhaps because it (whatever it is), is a done deal, like he already knows the end game results.

    I imagine those airliners will be used against Israel or with the growing split in the muzloid world against the shite bunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would assume so as well Matt. I don't think they would fly them across the ocean and over to the US for an attack. But I also never thought airliners would be flown in to buildings, and BO re-elected. So, if there is a will...then they would find a way. I worry that all 12 will be used simultaneously in one huge coordinated attack.. I am sure Israel is on high alert.

      Delete
  4. Like so many lately, I feel a sense of urgency to get as much done in as short a time possible. Other than the reports you mentioned, I have no basis for this except that nagging little thing in the back of my mind that says, "You better quit stalling and get busy, or you will live to regret it."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not just with you. Senior and I are seeing it and hearing it with alot of our close friends and neighbors. I see a lot of people trying to sell stuff off..or trying to trade stuff for weapons... I worry for you and where you live. I hope you have some sort of bug out plan.

      Delete
  5. Obama does care, about golf and golf and well golf. Wait until it is revealed that golf courses have a no fly zone over them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isnt it interesting that little tid bit of info has not been released. You know those jetliners were stolen last month..we are just hearing of it now..

      Delete
  6. Ok so they may have 12 airliners, but it takes 22 pilots to fly and maintenance minded folks to service them or even fuel them. Plus you need equipment to board the planes to fly. Unless they have a tall latter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Rob, the fact that they are missing tells me right there that they have what they needed to make them disappear in terms of the number of pilots. And being over there in some of these unfriendly countries, it isn't a stretch to think they have a hostile foreign government sponsoring this..... certainly wouldn't be the first time.

      Delete
    2. Rob you are a good buddy and I know you worked in and around passenger planes for quite a while, but I agree with Matt.. Whoever stole these planes had experience and the bank roll to pull it off. .

      Delete
  7. There is a filter that is sold by Cheaper than Dirt but you can also order direct that allows you to make a berkley type system with any old five gallon buckets and a drill. The thing is small enough to fit in a bug out bag too but designed to be used in a set up. In the end it's prolly about like Kymber and Jamby's set up. Used to only cost about 20 bucks but that was years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of people are spooked by all the events we're living through, and I think with good reason.

    Storing water is a great idea. That's something like ammo, a commodity you can never have enough of.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And don't forget the number of muslims now working at airports around the USA... sigh

    ReplyDelete
  10. And tell me why you are not hearing about this in the "main stream" news

    ReplyDelete