Wednesday, September 3, 2014

The Estate Poultry Project..An Update

Well our babies hatched. And on Monday we picked up 10 of the little darlings...so cute and fuzzy at this age.



This little brown one NW Immediately adopted as his own and named it " Muddy"


 Mr. Farmer gave us this old bookcase. Senior remodeled it a bit and turned it into nesting boxes for the new girls we bought. The only thing he has to do is add a board across the front in order to keep the straw in for the nest.
 
 
Speaking of our girls, these are a set of Rhode Island Red Pullets that we picked up at a local feed store. The boys named them : "Elsa, Nellie and Lucy"
 

The boys are being very "hands on" with the new ladies:


Nellie seems to like her new run. We put in toys for them, like this old saw horse which is now a roost:

 


13 comments:

  1. Woo hoo... Fresh eggs coming ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am EGG- Static about all the eggs We are going to get...

      Delete
  2. Were they all pre-sexed?

    I want chickens. Good for you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the big girls we got from the feed store were. However, we got the hatchlings from our neighbor..and God only knows what they are. For all we know I got 10 roosters..lol

      Yes get into chickens..they serve a dual purpose. We are headed to a live stock auction Saturday night, where I am hoping to get a couple of the more showier chickens, like the silkies or polish hens..

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Sweety! Hey..BTW I have been wanting to leave comments for you on your blog posts, but I no longer see the comment button.. : (

      Delete
  4. They're so cute! The folks got Big Bro and I a couple of chicks for Easter one year, not realizing they'd grow up. We came home one day to be told they were off at Happy Sunny Farms playing with their new friends. I think they probably ended up in Happy Sunny Farms Noodle Soup, but I know my Mom and Dad's intentions had been good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh My Good Lord Brigid that is a cute little story. I learned a long time ago while working with a veterinary clinic what time of year you purchase animals and what time of year you don't. You never give a puppy or kitty as a Christmas gift. And you never give baby chicks and rabbits out at Easter.
      You also never adopt a puppy two days prior to transferring to Japan and not knowing international animal importation laws...long story on that one! lol

      Delete
  5. I like having chickens. Mine are free range. Your place will be perfect for chickens. Do you have any dogs? My dogs ignore the chickens but some will kill them. Cats love to kill the chicks when they are little. They are worth the trouble, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Harry, once ours are grown they won't free range. My dogs would make sure of that. So Senior and I built a nice run attached to a old metal shed we turned into a coop.

      Yep once I start collecting eggs it will be all worth it.

      Delete
  6. JUGM,

    Congratulations on your new birds :-)
    The boys are going to have so much fun...........and so are their parents.
    Now the fun begins, you'll have all kinds of free entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your farmer friend/neighbor didn't sell you roosters!!!
      Love to you and yours,
      Sandy
      P.S. this site may help http://www.mypetchicken.com/backyard-chickens/chicken-help/How-can-I-tell-if-my-juvenile-bird-is-a-rooster-H47.aspx

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the link. Will go take a look. Our oldest is okay around them but the youngest still acts a little wonky. He is nervous about holding them. But yesterday he got in the run with them and was more interactive..

      Delete