Since watching "Sons of Liberty" I have been googling the principle players and learning more about them. I did not know much about Samual Adams other then there is a brewery named after him.
He was a great American and said some pretty intense things.. This one in particular rings so true to this day:
"If ever should come a time when vain or aspiring men shall posess the highest seats in government
our Country will stand in need of its experienced Patriots to prevent its ruin"
-Samuel Adams
Not sure one way or another really. His character maybe accurate in the show or it may not. Obviously he wasn't a super heavy player as things got really widespread political but I cannot say why as I have never really pursued any real research on him. I thought the Franklin portrayal was good what little there was and I wasn't all that impressed with the way they showed Hancock but I will say I did like that one scene between Abigail Adams and Sam as it was rumored she was a solid supporter of him.
ReplyDeletei researched him a bit. and yes he was not as involved in the pre rebellion issues as portrayed in the movie. And he certainly was not as hunky as portrayed. I also liked the scene with Abigail Adams.
DeleteI knew Hancock was a rich man, but doubt he was the way his character acted. And I would have liked to have seen more of Franklin..
The part about Joseph Warren was correct in that he did die that day, but I never found where he was having a fling with the generals wife...
The thing about Hancock is completely out of touch. Hancock and Adams were partners on and off in many things but Hancock had a large following of his own. He wasn't some rich effeminate dandy that no one liked. He was well known for being extremely generous with his money long before and after his associations with Sam Adams. In many respects the writers combined all of Hancock's and Adam's good qualities into the Sam Adams character as one.
DeleteGage's wife (Margarette I think) Has long been rumored to have been the spy that tipped off the minute men. Gage actually believed it enough that he sent her packing back to England in 1775. It has never been proven but some sources have always taken it as a fact.
I just recently finished another biography of Franklin and it is pretty spot on with the few scenes he was in. Maybe that actor read the same biography lol.
I did think that about Gage's wife.. it would make sense being she was from NJ,and married to a monster. I think it is Brian Killmeade of FOX has collaberated on a new book about spies of the revolution..I do think she was one that is mentioned. But there was also an unknown woman, that many think was a widow and traveled in those circles with the British.
DeleteAnd his beer is good..LOL. I liked the show.
ReplyDeleteYes it was really good. My favorite was Revere, but I like that actor anyways... and yep Sam Adams Ale is pretty good
DeleteI was disappointed that they didn't have a segment on Betsy Ross and the American Flag or anything more on the Gadsden Flag.
DeleteI was a little bit too. Our oldest said they have enough material with all the pre-war events and during the war events, that they could make a weekly series from it.. Would be a good idea.
DeleteJUGM,
ReplyDeleteThe show has been recorded but not watched yet. Can't wait to check the show out.
Samuel Adams......was a good dude.
Hugs and love to you and your family.
Sandy
It is good. I love Paul Revere in it. You guys will like it.
DeleteHugs to you all as well
Tivo'ing it...
ReplyDeleteTivo'ing it...
ReplyDeleteSam Adams had a reputation for lack of tact, but that was probably a time when straight forward talk was more the order of the day.
ReplyDelete