Tuesday, September 27, 2011

More about Girls and Guns...

Let’s admit it. Nothing is more empowering to a woman then going to the range and shredding some paper or, blowing the guts out of a perfectly good squash. When I first got my Taurus Judge, I couldn’t wait to shoot something.  I went to the produce counter and got spaghetti squash the next day I was at the range with some friends having a great time. And I like to try my best to encourage women to shoot.

A lot of us though are reluctant. We have a general fear of guns. I remember back to my very first time holding a gun, and I would close my eyes and try to pull the trigger. I, like most women I was terrified of the recoil and the noise.

I took baby steps for everything. Hubby let me start using his Marlin .22 that was a lot of fun plinking away at the target. So if you want to start going to the range, pick up a little .22 Most are lightweight and very little recoil. Ease yourself in to the sport and build up your confidence. Once you get the hang of the .22 then you can graduate to something a bit bigger with more stopping power.



If it’s for home defense then a .22 won’t cut it. You need at least a 380 ACP or larger. And then you have the choice of revolver vs. semi auto. I prefer the semi. And then there is always the brand and price. Just because something is flashy and expensive doesn’t mean it’s the best on the market. And the gun manufacturers are out there promoting everything to help women ease in to shooting, from the grips, to the color. They know we are their fastest growing base of consumers and they know that most of us girls control the check book.

Also most of your local ranges have classes specifically designed for women, and taught by women instructors. Most of us are first instructed by our dads, boyfriends or husbands. Sometimes that is good, but sometimes it can be bad. Hubby helps me out a lot, but he also knew that a friend can also be helpful and some of my best instruction came from none other then Stephen. (And no below is NOT a pic of Stephen and I)

 I also learned my aggressive stance from actually watching “Top Shots” An aggressive shooting stance tells the bad guy that you mean business and you’re not just a pretty face with a gun. It shows them that your one bad $%#@ with a weapon and you know how to use it.  So go treat yourself to a day at the range, you never know you might be a better shot then your hubby!  : )   I think my next topic will be about us girls and our rifles... 



I would like to say a big WELCOME to Shar--thanks for clicking the follow button. Come and visit often..



11 comments:

  1. I was happy to help. You're a good student. And, you've made much progress...proud of 'ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephen- Thank You! and yes I think I have made good progress too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a glock mom too! I grew up with a loaded shotgun in the corner of my grandpa's house. There were kids in and out all the time and we knew that was something we weren't supposed to touch.

    I later married a man into hunting and fishing. I learned how to shoot anything I could get my hands on. A year ago I finally broke down and got my CC license. Papa Bear gave me a glock for Christmas and a CC purse. I never leave home without it.

    Great post to encourage the ladies to get out there and just do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jacked Up Glock Mom, I didn't know you knew Stephen personally. How could I have missed that? Must be getting old faster than I thought. I've always been a big believer in everybody in the family being competent with small arms. These days, we can't lock our women away in a castle so they have to be able to defend themselves and others in a crisis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mama Bear- I am thrilled you have your CC license. I of course have mine. Its good chatting with other like minded ladies. I do try to encourage as many as I can. And will write about it more as time goes on. Like I have said Nothing is more empowering then to shoot a weapon, or to go in to a gun shop to make a purchase and be able to slap down that license and walk out with your new gun.

    Arsenius- Dear Lord Yes I know Stephen!, we travel in the same circle.Hubby and I are good friends with he and his sweet wife. Lil Bit and my boys have played together on many occasions, of course they run from her cause shes a "icky girl" ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! The more I shoot the more confident I get in all aspects of my life. Really is very cool. Plus the more I shoot the more my guy is learning what my FMS means for it. Which guns hurt and what don't. Hot to ease recoil. Things to teach me to help. He has decided to build me a custom light weight bull barrel rifle for Christmas so I still have the awesomeness of the thick barrel but the ease of a lighter weight. Sooooo excited.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lila- That is how I feel. Plus it is a real de-stresser for me. I would be excited about your new rifle, sounds awesome. I know you can't wait to shoot it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Got my wife to shoot the 9mm this weekend. Once, but baby steps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't really have any family or close friends with gun experience. A few years ago Dick Cheney did me the disservice of injuring himself while out shooting, on the few occasions I talked about learning Hubby talked about Cheney. I asked about it yesterday and he said "Yeah!" without even a glance. I'm not going to ask why. So a class at the range sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. GBG- Is your hubby a prepper as well? does he shoot? and is it that he doesnt want you to learn how to handle a firearm? My argument would be that the prepping you are starting will be pointless with out a way to defend it all against looters and gangs, should SHTF. So yes, take your self to a gun range, and enroll in classes.

    ReplyDelete