Yesterday at the gas pump, I was able to use our business card and save .10 per gallon. A huge help. but there were others around not so lucky. Gas here is 3.96 a gallon..it is killing the American people every time we fill up.
So, it was no real shock to me when a single mom, with a child and dog in her back seat approached me to help her with some gas money... ever since the homeless veteran on the interstate that I couldnt help, I have felt bad...we live right off the highway and see it all the time...
As a rule..I Do not give people cash. But I did offer to put some gas in her tank..she was down here from Georgia, had been looking for work and like most unable to find a job, no place to stay either..and had a child. Before she left Georgia she did fill out an application with Waffle House and got word they wanted to interview her, so she was trying her best to make her way back. I couldn't give much, but did manage to put in about 8 gallons for her, a cost of 30.00.
Her gratefulness was overwhelming. She did not know how to repay me, but I told her to just get that job, get on her feet, and "pay it forward".. I also told her that one day it could be me who is in that situation and needs her help, I also went on to say that this economy is very poor right now, and anyone could be in her shoes. She shook my hand, and again thanked me for my kindness, Then she and her child and dog went on their way. I hope she made it to her destination okay, living in a car, being a woman with a child is not good.
The whole event was a reality check for me. See lately I have not been okay. and have not been the best person in the world. I have not been the best daughter to my parents, I have been short with them and distant. I have taken my immediate family for granted, and hope that one day they can forgive me for any hurt I caused, I do love them all so deeply.
.
I want so much to re-invent myself, I came home from that event and whipped out the college application for the Medical Assistant program, and started working on it.. I have tried to do so much for so many people that in the process I have forgotten about myself and I have let myself go, and want so much to find those things in life that once made me so very happy.
I want a husband and children who are proud of their wife and mom, and I want the deepest respect from the rest of my family. My brother and neice are both in the medical field and have sworn to help me through the 10 months of classes. My brother is even offering to help me pay for it, he wants so bad to see me with a career.
Also this morning, we are starting back to church. You know my sister is very Godly, and she told me that no problem is too big for God..to just take it all to the cross. We have not been since July. I owe God so much..and I have not been Thankful. I know that anytime God can take all these blessing away from us, that every day we get to live is a gift..because in a split second any one of us could be like that single mom on the road with a child and dog.....
That small gesture of kindness was very nice of you. Then again, knowing you it doesn't surprise me. You've always been a kind and caring person. Don't beat yourself up...we all have bad spells...Lord knows I'm not always the best man, husband, father and grandfather. God indeed helps us stay the course.
ReplyDeleteThank You Stephen for the kind words....
DeleteAll wise choices! Good for you!
ReplyDeleteTY Mama!
DeleteLast September, while on vacation to see my parents, I was approached at a rest area, by a man asking for money. He needed to get back to either Arizona or New Mexico (I've forgotten which) and he had a sick relative with him, and she really did look ill. I don't like giving cash either but it was the easiest thing to do considering I was at a rest area.
ReplyDeleteGod will judge these people if they cheated us, as he will also judge us for how we treat people. So I don't worry about that aspect. I just try to do right by folks that seem to be in need. I've been blessed in my situation, so I try to pass it forwards when called upon to do so.
Here's a thought for everyone that finds themselves in this situation being asked to help someone else.
You never really know who you might be helping.
Hebrews 13 ( New International Version )
1 Keep on loving one another as brothers and sisters. 2 Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it.
Good job on that lady that needed gas, JUGM. You did good.
DeleteThank you Matt for the kind words and bible verse.. I am sure I shall never know what happend to her. I hope indeed she made it and was being honest with me. You know that is right: You never know who you might be helping. I just hope she and her child are okay and off the road.
DeleteAt times I wish I could help some folks. We have not been in church for many years, not because we don't want too, but because it has been hard to find one that is not all in spanish. I was told long ago if you can't get to GOD'S House it is OK with him, as long as you have God in your heart. His House will always be where you are.
ReplyDeleteI believe that as well Rob. Sometimes I feel just as close to God sitting on the beach as I do from church.
DeleteYou never know where people are coming from or what their story is. I hope that if I am in a difficult time, someone like you would be willing to reach out to help and not judge me. Blessings will come back to you.
ReplyDeleteI fully believe that Rose. We have been So very blessed and it was withen my means to be able to help someone out.
DeleteJUGM - don't beat yourself up - you are a very sweet and tender person! please take the course as your brother is willing to help finance it and that right there is a blessing! i always try and help people in need - i love the bible verse that Matt quoted. i have been ripped off and used financially several times - never by strangers but by friends and family! you did a really sweet and thoughtful thing for that woman and i am sure that she is very grateful! and who knows - she or her child might have been an angel!
ReplyDeleteyour friend,
kymber
TY my friend...that means a lot. I have thought a lot about the mother and child, and have prayed for them that they made it safe, and will hopefully return the kindness to someone else in need....
Delete