Thursday, June 14, 2012

Flag Day

'I am what you make me; nothing more. I swing before your eyes as a bright gleam of color, a symbol of yourself.'



Today is Flag Day...but did you know? I bet the majority of Americans didn't. In actuality we are in the middle of "Flag Week". A week long event to celebrate our flag, and to retire worn and tattered flags properly.

  Old Glory flies proudly over government offices, companies and residences as a show of our country's solidarity. Unlike the rest of the world, we do not have one set ethnicity..we are a melting pot united by one common bond: Our Flag

She is a symbol, of everything we have fought and died for since the founding of our country. To me she means patriotism, freedom, hope and courage.There is not a more beautiful  site then seeing her waving in the wind from atop a pole, hoist high above all else for everyone to see. I feel a surge of patriotism when I see her flying on board our Naval vessels, or worn on the uniforms of our service members fighting over seas.
There is also not a sight in the world that is more powerful or emotional then seeing her draped over a coffin of a fallen military member, then folded and handed to his or her family.
 And nothing incites anger in me more, then seeing her trampled on and burnt by people who hate us.

 She is emblazoned with 13 strips that represent the 13 original colonies, the red stripes represent the blood that was shed for our country, and the white for courage and sprituality. The stars of course represent our States that make up the United States of America.

Our flag means a lot of things to a lot of people, it means we are free to make choices, free to worship, free to be whatever we want to be. We have the right to make choices freely and express freely who we want to run our government without fear, and I know America will always defend that right.

So I am proud to look upon our flag, Senior and I have a pole erected in our front yard, a light shines on her at night so we never have to take her down. And when I see her, which is every day. I am thankful for the freedoms we still have in this great country..for she serves as my constant reminder that we are still one nation under God.

4 comments:

  1. and she is a real beauty! what a lovely and patriotic post for Flag Day!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ms. Kymber! But i was thinking..I guess Canada is another country that is not set with just one ethnicity..you guys are a melting pot as well..

      Delete
    2. actually - we refer to our country as a "mosaic" or a "patchwork" quilt...everyone retains their cultural identity, but we are all Canadian. have a happy Flag Day, sweetie!

      your friend,
      kymber

      Delete