Saturday, June 2, 2012

Senior and the Neighborhood Watch Program

Some members of our community decided some time ago to start a neighborhood watch program. This decision was made prior to the entire Zimmerman/Martin issue. Senior is a very involved member in our community, our little company even has the lawn care contract. He attends monthly board meetings and is very visible throughout the day in here.

Our community is home to some 300 + residences, a clubhouse, pool, and recreation fields. It is a very nice quiet place to live. We do have our issues though, mainly with kids vandalizing the pool and clubhouse areas. Therefore, some home owners thought it would be a fantastic idea to form this watch program. Senior was all on board for it.

Then the Zimmerman case happened, and the paranoia struck. No watch member in our community would be allowed to carry concealed weapons. Senior was not a happy man. They ( the watch board members) put it in to a SOP, and wanted everyone to sign.
Senior refused and removed himself as a neighborhood watch member. For that I am so proud of him. He voiced his reasons for quitting through a group email, and stated that in no law; state or federal is there anything saying neighborhood watch members can't carry concealed. This is all a knee jerk reaction to the case in Sanford, Florida. Technically, if Senior wanted to push it, he could take legal action.
The watch committee in our community is led by an ATF pencil pusher who has in not so many words labeled Senior as a "Vigilante" because he carries. Let me remind you all, that most ATF guys believe that civilians should not own a firearm.

Senior, even though he is not in the watch program receives email updates of their little "patrols" and I must say it is all very silly and entertaining. They are now getting T-Shirts made to identify themselves as "neighborhood watch". I believe that once a person puts on that shirt...it is going to empower the individual wearing it to go beyond the definition of a "neighborhood watch" member. They have also started "roving patrols". complete with note pads, and flashlights. All I am waiting on next is little red berets...  : )
I feel like it is becoming a community police force. A person can't walk up and down the street without someone in the watch program reporting it. ..racial profiling is all ready at work with the descriptions I have seen via the emails.

But wait!!...no one can carry a concealed weapon...but can't anything become a weapon? That flashlight sure can, and so can the pen used for taking notes...again the thinking of liberal minded anti-gun activists! It  is enough to make you say "Grrrrrrr"

So, Senior and I will do what we have always done for the past 6 years ...sit in our garage, listen to the stereo at night and be our own neighborhood watch.....Stay tuned for updates...it could get interesting...

9 comments:

  1. My neighborhood tried to start one. At the first meeting I promptly decided I would not take part due to the police officer's comments in general, and two neighbors who seemed to have problems controlling their mouths. One was a (at the time) in the police academy and seemed to be intent on expressing how important he was going to be one day. and the other neighbor wanted to brag to the police officer on the fact that several in the neighborhood were well armed.

    That ATF idiot in your neighborhood scares me. He is the type to run and tell his buds on you two. I'd move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Furthermore, I guess all the dumb*sses in the neighbor watch program must be assuming that since they are no longer armed, that the "suspects" must be armed with Tea and Skittles.

      I'd save all those emails, and if there ever is a situation regarding profiling, especially the ATF dude, I'd rat them to the media.

      Delete
    2. Ever since I read the Series "Enemies Foreign and Domestic" by Matthew Bracken, the ATF as scared the heck out me too. Senior and I definantly don't like this guy and apparantly the ATF guy is hoping the neighborhood watch fails so he can try to back door a deal to have his off duty buddies from the good ole lodge come in and patrol.

      And yes, Senior made that same comment as well that they expect the suspects to be unarmed as well... Most probably will be, but I guarentee there will be that one time when someone is not...

      Delete
  2. i completely agree with Matt. and i completely agree with Senior getting out of the watch program. this is a definite knee-jerk reaction to the stuff that has happened lately. you and Senior know how to take care of yourself...and if you ever need us - we'll be there in a blink!

    lots of love, your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got my back? bring lobsters when you do come down .. : )

      Serioulsy though, it is all going to be very interesting watching all this play out.And we are taking Matts advice about saving all the emails.

      Delete
    2. good job about saving the emails. and if you need us - you yell. and we'll bring 2 dozen lobsters!!! we got your back hon!

      your friend,
      kymber

      Delete
  3. I was getting hungry, reading kymber's post, then I came here and got pissed off. There's nothing like a big fish in a little pond to turn into a pencil bully. It forces us to look out for ourselves instead of standing together.

    ALL it takes to scare a Skittle carrier away is to see a band of seniors standing together with bats, guns, frying pans and DETERMINATION.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kymbers post made me hungry as well... Yea Mr. ATF thinks he is a bully, but I just found out he is no longer with that organization, he know sits behind a desk eating donuts at the treasury department...

      PS: Thanks for stopping by my clothesline...

      Delete
  4. After reading your post all I can say is Count me in as being in your corner. When all hell breaks lose N.W. will be the first taken out by some nut case. I hate LIBERALS. If I had a choice of being with a group like you two, Duke, Stephen, Jamie/Kymber & the rest of your group and a bunch of N.W. Idiots, I want you and the crew hands down.

    LOCK N LOAD, ROCK N ROLL

    ReplyDelete