Wednesday, August 8, 2012
Back to School...
First day of school for our county today. Has it really been only two months ago that they got out? Our district is re-vamping our school year and the kids get out in May vice June.
Our boys popped out of bed this morning , one had toaster strudel the other a cinnamon waffle, both drank down their little glass of chocolate milk.
We left early because I knew there would be a crowd. The commandant Principle is making parents sign in, we are no longer free to walk our children to class the first week.If she had her way about it every kid would ride the school bus, and parents would not be allowed on school grounds. I love every thing about the school , except her--she really does need to go!.
ND has NWs first grade teacher from last year, she is an awesome right wing conservative, her husband proudly serves in our Coast Guard. During a field trip last year, she sat next to me on the bus, and we had a really good conversation about the country and its education system. She knows it is going to crap, and tries her best to be one of those teachers who actually does care about a childs education and increasing their brain functions, some of the techniques she uses to get kids to think is amazing to me.
I have only met NWs second grade teacher briefly, she is older and southern...from Arkansas. I have been told by the boys previous kindergarten teacher that she is very firm, and believes in advancing the kids who are excelling in her classroom. She is a huge Razorbacks fan, so Senior is getting NW a Carolina Gamecocks Tshirt to wear in her class... : )
As always for another year, I drive our kids. I do not like school busses. I have no problem getting up and taking them and picking them up in the afternoons..even though the bus stop is right in front of the house. The other parents who stand outside waiting, look at me like I am a space alien. Besides, its a real thorn in the side of the Commandant for parents to drive their kids, so it is in my pleasure to do that. : )
I treasure that last moment with our boys in the morning, when they unbuckle to get out, they kiss mommy bye, the last thing we say is our "I love yous, and have a good day". I try my best to watch them walk down the corriders to their little class rooms. And then I am there waiting in the afternoons, to hear about the school day and with a little snack for them. We get home almost an hour before the bus even drops off.
So now the house is quiet, I look at the clock and wonder what they are doing, but I must clean this place up. I have not had time for anything over the summer. Then I am going to do some baking..double chocolate chip cookies, and surprise our little men with a afterschool treat. : )
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Oh, I am so with you on buses. I hate that my kids ride the bus. I can drive them and want to and did for the first year, but then they begged and begged to ride the bus. My older kids who were home schooled feel completely neglected that they never got to ride the bus...lol I eventually relented and my kids love it. The upside is my kids are special needs and ride the little bus and only one other kid:)
ReplyDeletehome schooling is being kicked around in our household..It will be a possiblity when they leave the primary school and move into the elementary one. The schools here are just getting so overcrowded and they are not building new ones anytime soon. I am also liking what i see in these virtual online schools...kind of cool. My oldest really wants to start homeschooling, so we will see. Our youngest though would not take it serious,and that is what would concern me, we would have to be really firm with him and lock up all toys till class time was over.
DeleteYour special needs kids are the upside, we have one child in our neighborhood who is, and he is the only one of the bus..
I had to choose a school for my daughter that emphasized learning versus P.E. I drove her every day from kindergarten through high school. Her schools graded on accomplishments instead of the new attitude of "just because you're here, you'll get an 'A'." Which breaks the spirit of the ones truly studying.
ReplyDeleteShe is now a pediatric oncologist instead of drawing government assistance with the attitude of self-entitlement.
More power to you!
and that is why I loved Newt Gingrichts plans on allowing parents to get pell grants for kids k-12. I thought it was awesome because it would allow parents to put their kids in affordable private schools. If we don't do the home school thing, then I know by elementary / middle school, I hope to have them in a good quality academic based private school-God willing.
DeleteI miss my trips to school. Enjoy it...life is so very short. Give the boys a hug for me.
ReplyDeleteI know you do! and yes i do enjoy it, my day would not be complete with the daily trips...
DeleteWhen my parents bought the farm, that I still consider the home with the best memories, the school board 'informed' my mother that the bus would NOT be stopping to pick me up that September. She said, "What do we pay our taxes for?" They said, "It's too dangerous with the curve being there and the small hill." She said, "Put up signs." They hemmed and hawed, she raised holy hell. It was the 'principle of the thing'. They finally conceited, and said, "OK, we'll pick up your daughter." Mother said, "Never mind, she's now driving." And, she knew all along I would be driving by July of that year. But it was the principle, both of my parents stood on principle, A LOT. Ahhh, memories of fighting the establishment started early with me.
ReplyDeleteI love fighting the establishment as well. Only when i did try it last year with the car rider issue, the commandant principle stopped parents from "walking" up to the gate to fetch our kids thus causing an even bigger back up with car riders. When I complained she told me to either car pool , put our kids on the bus, or "adjust"...
Deletewell now, so many parents have complained about the car rider line, that the school board is now being forced to re-vamp the current route and make it more convenient for the parents.