Last year, when Senior and I were visiting his dad in South Carolina , we found
a large lot of canning jars for sale. We paid 60.00 for the entire lot. Once
home, and upon cleaning, I noted some where no longer in production. This find
started my antique canning jar collection.
Saturday we ventured down state to a large flea market. I
happened upon a young man selling old jars for 8.00 a piece. I wanted one to
add to my collection.
The one I chose is clear glass, and has MASON’S Patent Nov
30 1858. Someone had painted over the lettering. Senior looked at me funny, but I was excited.
We got home and I did some research. I found that my newest jar was probably
made around 1915, because there are seams up the sides.
And then it talked to
me, it told me about all the good things it had once held: Green beans,
peaches, corn, and potatoes and other things fresh from the garden. It told me that countless times a little elderly
lady used it for her homemade jellies, her recipe had even won first place once at the
county fair. And then it was given to the lady’s grand daughter so she could
catch lightening bugs during the evenings, and then it was used to hold the girls "Jacks"
After the little girl grew up, she became a beautiful bride
and used the jar as a vase on her kitchen window. A few years later her husband
suddenly passed away, the bride packed the jar away in her attic, she could not
bare the reminder of the flowers it once held that were always from her
husband. And there the jar sat, packed among other odds and ends.
Until one day
it was discovered in a box, and given to a boy who liked to build models, it
became the perfect paint brush holder. He thought so much of the jar, he
painted over the words. As the boy grew in to an older man, it was used in his
garage to store nuts and bolts then sold in a yard sell. It was then taken
along with other collectibles to the flea market, where I found it, bought it, and liberated it.
It said all these
things to me while I scrubbed and cleaned it, Inspecting my jar I learned to appreciate
the rich history it holds. Now it sits atop my kitchen cabinets, the focal point of my jar collection. Where others who visit can look and learn to appreciate the rich history associated with canning.

It was probably used by some dirty old man to spit his snuff or tobacco in.
ReplyDeleteOh Matt!!! your probably right! Senior actually said it was probably manufactured last year in China! --That would be just my luck!
DeleteDon't listen to Matt (or Senior). I think it's lovely & has been used as it told you.
ReplyDeleteTY!!! I don't listen to Senior...all though I did do more research on it,and did find that China did manufacture reproductions, but they had a maletese cross on them.
DeleteI agree with DFW...what a lovely life the jar shared with you!
ReplyDeleteThanks MAMA! I can't wait to go out looking again and find my next jar.
Deletei am with DFW and Mamma - and kicking Matt in the hip - bahahahahah! that jar told such a wonderful story to you...and you told it to us in such a beautiful way...i love these kinds of posts JUGM...i love it when you tell stories. THAT is a beautiful jar to add to your collection!
ReplyDeleteyour friend,
kymber