The day had started off hot and
promised to get even hotter. That morning, Nanason as always had a large
spread out for breakfast. After the dishes and table were cleaned off, she got
up to get dressed so we could “Go to town” and shop
She always dressed up
anywhere we went, pearls, makeup, stockings, heels, and a dress. I never saw
her wear long pants.
I had begged Nanason for a pair
of green overalls; I think I wanted to be like Mr. Green Jeans from Captain
Kangaroo. In addition to the overalls, she also bought me a new pair of White
Keds Tennis Shoes.
I ran in to Stacey and Trey
Ravenell, they lived on the right side of my grandparents, I think of them with
much fondness, as they were probably two of the best friends I ever had at that
age. There wasn’t much that I did not do around the mill hill that did not
involve Stacey and Trey. Their mother lived in the old house with their
grandmother Mildred,(aka Millie) I always saw her in the same dress, hair un-kept and
missing some of her front teeth. She was married to a man named Ralph but
with her missing teeth it came out sounding like “Ras” hearing her call him
that always gave us kids a giggle. Stacey and Treys mother was a beautiful blond;
and it behooved us kids how Mildred and Ralph could have created something as
beautiful as their daughter.
Across the street was the vacant
school yard; around the old school was red clay with little gulley’s that had
been cut out by rain storms. It was the intention of Trey to make the water run
again through the gullies. He was trying to make a creek. We began carrying
buckets of water from our outside faucet to across the street, as the clay
absorb the water, it became a red mud pile. Not at all the creek Trey had hoped
for. I was wearing the white Keds. My feet sank in, and I got stuck. I couldn’t
move. Stacey grabbed my hands and pulled with all her might and I fell face
forward in to the mess. Fortunately I was free. I did lose one of the shoes, but had to dig around and found it.
I was a red clay nightmare, arms,
legs, face and hair; all covered in clay. My white Keds, were no longer white,
but orange. What was I going to do? Nanason just bought them that morning for
me. She would be furious. Being the good friends that they were, Stacey and
Trey high tailed it back home leaving me alone to deal with my grandmother.
I stood on the back porch, Terri
shaking her head; my sister stared with her mouth hung open and my brother
laughing. Nanason took my ungodly sight in with ease, If she was mad, she never
showed it. She made me hose off and, I had to wear those Keds the rest of the
summer as a sort of punishment. The Story has become folklore in my family
ranks, its been told over and over through the years. And it always gives everyone a good laugh. I hear now Converse has a color of Tennis Shoes actually called "Red Clay"....hmm imagine that!
---To be continued

I remember getting new white tennis shoes and scuffing them up because I didn't want them to look so 'new'. But, I don't think I was ever stuck in the mud (aka, where I grew up, known as 'red clay') w/them.
ReplyDeleteYea..i was stuck..knee deep in the mess. Certain childhood events you never forget, and this is one of them for me.
ReplyDeletebahahahahah! i am loving these posts!!! if i were you i would look into sueing Converse for stealing your red clay shoes idea.
ReplyDeleteyour story reminds me of when i finally got a pair of peter pan get-away boots...do you remember those? flat boots that came up to your ankle? anyway, i finally saved enough babysitting money and got myself a real cool pair that were beigey-brown. i loved them! the second day of wearing them all of us kids (grade eight) were hanging out at the school after school talking and joking and having fun. then someone started doing imitations. and then someone else did one. i said that i could do an imitation of a lizard - i keep my legs straight and pull myself forward with arms bent like a lizard. and move my head from side to side and stick out my tongue (i think it was why i was the fastest leopard-crawler in basic training - i could beat anyone!). anyway - i did my imitation - everyone laughed and thought it was great. i stood up and realized i had completely scratched the front toes of both boots. oh man was i p*ssed!
your friend,
kymber
oh no! that is terrible! I do remember those boots, I also remember the ones that laced up your leg and had fringe on them.
DeleteI am trying to picture Kymber the lizard girl...bahahahaha... : )