"Some of the worst things Imaginable, have started off with the best intentions"
-Dr. Grant, "Jurassic Park"
Yesterdays blog post opened up a huge discussion on the issue of privacy with social media pages, and cell phone applications. It also reminds me of the above quote. And how things that were meant to make our life easier and create a more connected society--really isn't working out the way we the cizitens thought they would.
Another blogger this morning Old NFO has a good post about it, with some articles from CNN and FOX.
During our comments from part 1 of the subject, Matt mentioned an issue with the facebook automatic update. He later emailed me the below image. Thanks Matt for doing that. I have a few apps myself that will do an auto update, and now I am wanting to delete them off. I am also going through my facebook page and making major deletions of photos and any videos I have.
Read, it and understand it well folks... It can record, and take pictures without your confirmation..think about the repercussions of this. You could have your phone sitting on the bathroom counter and be getting out of the shower and it could snap a pic.
Our boys have an Xbox 360. It was a former employee of ours who one day said " You know, if I was you, when its not in use I would turn the sensor portion backwards"
We inquired as to why. And he explained that even though its not in use, it has a camera, and some one could hack in to it and see every thing we are doing.... So, since that day. When the boys are done playing-it gets turned back around and faces away from the living room.
Another thing I don't like is Red Light Cameras. You run one and they have your tag number and can get your address. I don't know the ins and outs of how they work, but you get some nutjob who is responsible for mailing out the tickets, and now they have your address... Scary to think about!
So, like Ole NFO said.."We have no more privacy". Nothing is sacred anymore. They have enticed us with social media and we in turn have thrown our entire lives out there for the world to see.
-JUGM

A couple of years ago, some student sued his high school administration because he was using a school supplied laptop computer with a video camera.
ReplyDeleteThe school was actively and purposefully turning the camera on and spying on ALL the students that had these laptops when they weren't in class.
Fast Forward to today, now we have cell phones AND TVs that can drop in on us (as mentioned in the post above) and figure out what we are watching on TV, listen to, or heaven forbid, view our private activities (and you know what I am referring to here, yes our food canning activities for you dirty minded people out there...) and send us ads on these phones so that we can have a more pleasurable... canning experience.
We can never true privacy from everyone anymore... but we don't have to make it easy for them to spy on us either...
I was thinking about canning experiences as well... After i posted this, I went back through my FB and deleted all photos of the kids. I am not against social media, i think it does serve a purpose..but like you said, we can make it harder for them to spy on us, and we don't have to throw ourselves and our lives out there for the entire world.
DeleteThe Xbox freaked me out the minute we got it! I cussed that sensor, my kids thought I was nuts, but I still say someone is watching us. I'm going to unplug the dang thing!
ReplyDeleteI wonder how much money is spent on spying on US citizens. Think about Walmart and how paranoid they are that their employees will congregate in the parking lot. They have tons of cameras just to watch their employees.
Onstar in cars is super creepy even when it's not hooked up. Bluetooth & smartphones. Holy crap the list of possibile spy gadgets makes me want to unplug and move to the woods!!!!!
Yep, and your cell phone can track your every move.
Deleteagreed! I don't trust these little navigation apps and etc...
Deletehttp://www.infowars.com/new-xbox-wont-let-you-play-unless-its-spying-on-you/
DeleteI didn't know all of these things. Something to think about.
ReplyDeleteThe other day I was sitting in my robe on my bed blogging and my camera kept turning on and I could not figure out why...I finally covered it up and then went into my computer and turned it off completely. I never use the web cam, but scary. Very scary.
ReplyDeleteKelly: I don't like the Onstar thing either. Last year I had a camaro as a rental car and it had that on it. I accidently pushed the wrong button, then this operator comes on asking if every thing was okay..totally creeped me out.
ReplyDeleteBeth: yes ma'am--lots to think about and consider
AG: Ever since I saw this one episode of "Criminal Minds" where a stalker was using web cams, they have always creeped me out. I have never really used one.
I did almost this same post but edited down as a facebook post. Plus I deleted tons of pictures as well. And do you know NOT one of my friends over there has cared to comment much less "like" my status.
ReplyDeleteAre people just that blind and ignorant to think that the government won't spy on them? are they just that naive to think that its all just fun and games?
Yes! Most people are so wrapped up in their lives that they don't want to think about ANYTHING! My mom is the worst! I lecture her constantly about where her food comes from and how much she spends on nasty GMO produce when she could grow a little something in the Summer. She doesn't want to mess up her perfect yard. UGGGGHHH! She is so generous to me (like randomly bringing me a kitchenaid stand mixer, who does that!) that I have decided to gift her all summer and fall with as much stuff that I grow or make because I know she will never do it herself.
DeleteAt Christmas my cousin started talking about government conspiracy stuff and I was thrilled to know I'm not the only one in the family that thinks "crazy" LOL!!!
You have to do what you think is right and try (which is hard) not to worry about what others think about anything, unless of course they have an interest in what you are doing then spread the word sister!!!! That's why I love blogging so many like minded folks out there!!!!! You all live really far away and I dream of an entire street filled with my favorite blog friends which would never happen but at least we can chat everyday via the internet and not feel like weirdos ☺
Yea I am getting to where I am on blogger more then anything else. Because here I am with like minded people that I can discuss these issues with.
DeleteIt sounds like both of our moms are just alike..Mine thinks that nothing bad can ever happen, she never watches the news, and is not up to speed on any current events. She thinks I have all this food because I extreme coupon..which is the farthest thing from the truth.
You never know about that living close thing.. When Senior graduates college and hopefully finds a job in Transportation and Logistics..we could very well be out your way.
You all got it 100%. My facebook page has nothing on it really that isn't fluff. No political statements and the like. My cell phone is the most basic one I can find no aps and the like for me. I frequently shut the thing off and leave it places just in case.
ReplyDeleteMy FB is now about 20% fluff. And My cell phone is up for a new contract in June, Senior and I have all ready discussed going back to something more basic as well.
DeleteThanks for the link, and I didn't 'catch' the fact that y'all were on the subject too...
ReplyDeleteDo a google search "kids with guns" and then click on images. There are over a hundred images. Most are Ok..Some are downright stupid especially the one with the baby in a woman's lap and the baby has a gun in it's mouth. It may or may not be a toy gun but still.....Now days you would be torn apart for such and that image made me a little queasy.
ReplyDelete