I grew up in a Navy town, I remember the day when if you werent from this area, then you were a sailor. I remember being in high school and all the girls had sailors for their boyfriends. Back 30 years ago most of the guys didn't have cars, and had to walk every where so it was common place for us girls to "Cruise" for guys.. Of course i didn't meet Senior like this, we met some years later in a local bar, I was shocked that I met a sailor who was actually from here..
I miss working on base, and the pride I would feel every single morning driving past the ships, stopping while the sailors raised the morning colors.
I miss being respected and called "Ma'am"
I miss seeing the guys in line for morning muster on the flight decks..
I miss seeing all those big ships every day, and thinking how lucky I am. most Americans will never get to see one up close like I do.
I miss duty days, and taking Senior dinner, then hanging out with him. And if he had a weekend duty day, sometimes we would fish off the end of the boat ( how many people can say they have done that? )
I miss the Fourth of July, and sitting on the boat for a ring side seat to the base fireworks.. One year a Carrier was decommed and fire works were shot off her deck...it was the most amazing spectacle I have ever witnessed, and only a handful of us got to see it.
I miss the base softball league, and having to stop in the middle of a game for evening colors. I would look at the field of players, with hats off and everyone with hands over their hearts at sunset. And how prideful I was at the sight.
I miss watching the ships leave, and knowing that duty comes first, and those guys are going out in to harms way, I would wish them "Fair Winds and Following Seas" and hope for all to have a safe return home.
I miss standing on the beach and seeing that big ship out on the horizon preparing to pull back in to port. And the emotion one feels when you see it getting closer and closer and knowing your sailor is coming back home to you.
I miss homecomings, and seeing all the guys in their dress blues and whites "manning the rails" .. You would have loved ones on the pier searching and searching until they found their sailor.
Senior always thought me silly, but I miss him in his coveralls, and the smell of the ship that was forever in the fabric of all his uniforms.
I miss writing and numbering letters, now adays keeping in touch is much easier, but back years ago, it was letter writing, we would number them, and more often then not you would get letter number 10 on one day, and then letter number 5 or 6 after that... Now with modern technology there is email...and I would laugh at the new wives who came in to my work place on base, complaining how the email was down again on the ship...lol --Oh if they only had a clue!
But what I miss most, is the Pride in Country and Service every one had...There was prestige in saying you were in the military, each division we were in was a unit and a family, we did everything together. Now, in these times and days it hurts and makes me sad to think of the things that I use to take for granted are being diminished and our militay under attack by none other then our own Government. I feel for these new guys and girls who are enlisting...because I feel they will never know the military the way I knew it to be.
Wonderfully evocative writing.
ReplyDeleteOut of curiosity what do you and senior think about the new "Navy Digicam"?
My only problem with the digicams was they were making the Navy look too much like the Marines or Army. But as a working uniform, they are more durable then the old school bell bottoms and blue shirt. Plus the guys can wear them off base.
DeleteWhat Senior really, really, really ,had a problem with was just prior to retiring, the Navy started allowing E6 and below to wear the Khaki Shirt...which everyone knows that back in the day becoming a Chief and getting to wear Khakis was an accomplishment, you had to earn wearing them. Now its to the point where you can't tell an enlisted person from an officer or Chief, you have to look at the collar device.
Senior did want me to add this about the digicams.... they are blue, and he always had a fear of guys falling in the water with them on, and not being found because they blend so well with the color of the ocean.
DeleteThe bit about increasing the difficulty to find a "man overboard" struck me as well, I'm sure people would have objected to a day-glow orange digicam but...
DeleteWell said... I remember more then once Senior over his 20 year career helping his guys out. They always admired him because they knew he was a "Stand Up Guy". Now it is all politics and playstations....
ReplyDeleteJUGM - i feel your pain in missing the sense of pride of being "in the military" which always included the families. i, too, feel sorry for new enlistees as they won't know the military that i used to know. my trade was very small and very specialized - maybe 1500 of us at any given time over a 20yr period. during a 10yr career it was almost impossible to have not worked at least once with all 1499. and then there was Alert, an Arctic station that we were posted to every 3 years on the nose for 6 months. it was awful but the camaraderie that was experienced by people serving in Alert together can only be matched by people who went through basic training together. my trade in the past 15 years has become 4 separate trades now and everything that we used to do in Alert is now all automated. i know that most of us that had to serve in Alert wished it could have automated sooner - but still, there is something about serving time in a horrible place with people that become real and true friends.
ReplyDeletei completely understand your missing the pride and the glory of being in a military family. but i am glad that you got to experience so many things that a lot of people have never even thought about experiencing.
all of my best wishes to you and yours, dear heart! your friend,
kymber
You are making me weepy eyed... stop it!
ReplyDelete6 months on board a ship is one thing, guys can get off during port visits, and let off steam. But 6 months at the Arctic, with virtually no where to go??? I could not imagine it. You should do a post about it, and add some pics if you have any.