We stayed a night up in Hickory, NC then the next morning headed over to the town of Hiddenite and spent some time at the Emerald Mine, sluicing for treasures. And what treasures we found! Lots of minerals, semi-precious and precious stones as well.
The boys loved it! they were shouting with excitement every time they found or thought they found something new. But when the buckets ran out, the boredom set in. And frankly, a person can only sit on those benches for so long.
So what happens with buckets of red clay, a water trough, and 2 boys...a Red Clay Mess!

My dad has a rock tumbler he is going to lend me,(hopefully it works), But I hope to be able to clean up and polish the bags of stones we found.
Below is just a few of the nicer stones. I have four zip lock bags full.
Senior found a nice dark emerald and the sweet man let me give it to the lapidary and they are cutting me a Emerald solitare sterling silver ring.. It will be here in about 10 weeks. Just in time for our anniversary..what a nice Senior he is ! : )



oh it sounds like you had a lovely time JUGM! and i love looking for stones and whatnot. i can't believe that Senior got you an emerald - woohoo! you HAVE to take a pic when you get it! glad you had a nice mini-vacation!
ReplyDeleteyour friend,
kymber
Yes he did! The jewelry at the mine said that the emerald Senior found was a nice dark rich color and will make a beautiful ring. Will Def. do a post about it whenever I get it back in the mail. I will love to be able to tell people that its from a stone that we actually panned for and found...makes it even more sentimental.
DeleteI love the mountains, life is sure different up there.
ReplyDeleteyes it sure is... my sister and her family are all up in the smokey's. They have been there since last Wednesday. they have been gone so long I wonder if they are ever coming back.. : )
DeleteWe used to go every other year to the Smoky Mountains and I loved it. Looks like a lot of fun. Especially getting a ring from a found stone.
ReplyDeleteI know...Like I told Kymber, I think it will add to the senitment of it..
DeleteHoly Cow!!!! Like I had a choice in the Matter!!! Attention, Attention, no hear this. Keep your spouse close by you or they will run off and spend money. Ha Ha Ha.
ReplyDeletego glock mom...go glock mom....hehehehe
DeleteI have been there too......golly gee....
ReplyDelete