After finally getting my husband to take time out from running a business, the stresses of everyday life, and writing college papers, I was able to sit down with him so that I may interview him for Part Two of my B.O.B "Must Haves" .This review is on the emergency cooking stove called the Swedish Triangia Army Stove. Invented by the founder of the Triangia Company; John Jonsson. They are hard to find and are a highly sought after piece of field gear. Small and light weight, they can fit in to pretty much any bag.
They come in either aluminum or stainless steel. It is a little bit more in price but we prefer the stainless steel. These stoves use alcohol over 70% in content, hubby uses denatured alcohol that can be found in any paint section of a home improvement store or Walmart. Denatured alcohol provides the hottest flame for this stove.
The kit is a five piece set, consisting of the brass burner with o-ring in the lid, the alcohol storage bottle, small pot for boiling water and a multi purpose pan that also serves as the lid, and a wind screen. These stoves generate a high amount of heat, so make sure you use this on the ground and ensure you do not have any thing next to it that could ignite –
(Use of these stoves on plastic milk crates is not recommended)
They will roughly boil water in less then 10 minutes. Prior to a camping trip or placing in your BOB bag, fill the burner and storage bottle and it should last you for at least a three day camping trip. Hubby always takes out an extra 16 ounces just in case for any unseen emergencies.
We purchased ours about 2 years ago from “Cheaperthandirt.com” for under $9.00. When we purchased, he ordered 9 additional, total stoves consisted of 2 aluminum and 8 stainless steel. We sold them at cost to our group members (they come first) and they got the stainless ones, locally via Craigslist and also at local swap meet at a mutual gun club we were members of, and of course EBAY was used. All additional stoves were sold in less than a week. While researching for this post, I have since found the aluminum version listed on EBAY for around $75.00.
Hubby has used several camping stoves in the past including an ISOPRO camp stove and by far this stove is the best he has seen and simple to use. If you have one of these alcohol stoves, feel free to comment on your experiences with it.
Below is a generic You Tube Video just to show basic usage of the stove.


I dug around the internet and man alive, are these things hard to find. I found the swiss volcano stove, but those are always around. No luck on yours though; must be pretty awesome...
ReplyDeleteHillbilly- yes they are now very hard to find. If you do find one its usually the aluminum stove. Occasionally one will turn up on Ebay, but its rare. So good luck. I tell ya what though, if I had known then they would have been this hard to find, I would have kept some of the ones I had sold..
ReplyDeleteHey Glock Mom, great post, I'm really enjoying the BOB posts. This is really cool, I was afraid it might be too pricy but will definitely keep it in consideration for when I'm ready to buy. I remember my mom having something very similar, I think she crafted it from different junky parts but this is much better because it will pack compact.
ReplyDeleteGBG- Yes it is definantly a "must have item" so good luck in finding one that is stainless steel. I am working on Part 3, hubby helps me with these and with his schedule its hard for me to nail him down long enough to answer my questions before posting....
ReplyDelete