Sunday, October 21, 2012
Sunday Morning and "The Talk"
It is a cool Sunday morning here. God has bless. blessed us with yet another beautiful fall day. My coffee is hot, sausage is defrosting. It is sausage gravy biscuits for breakfast today.,
Then later, Senior is cranking up the smoker yet again for Ribs. Of course my Mac n Cheese, and a home made peach cobbler...Good lord I must love my family ! : )
I can't stop thinking about a conversation Friday night with our oldest NW. He is the ripe old age of 7 and all ready wise beyond his years.
Halloween week at the boys school is "spirit week" each day is a theme. Tuesday is "Sock it to drugs"-they get to wear crazy socks.
Well, while ND was playing in his bath, and Senior outside by the fire pit. NW asked me "What are drugs". I had to then go in to detail about the difference between prescriptions we get for being sick, and ones people take for fun. It was difficult explaining the differences. I told him even kids his age might try to offer him the "fun" drugs, or they may go in to mommy and daddy's medicines and bring some to school. I asked: "what would he do if a little friend offered him something" ?
His answer was To tell his teacher. I smiled and told him that is correct. But he elaborated further and said that he would then tell the friend, that he is a not sick and has no reason to take any medicines..
"Good Answer" I told him. I hope that sentiment continues as he grows.
As good as the conversation went, it left me sad and worried for his and his little brothers future. I am sad because I shouldn't have to be having this conversation with a 7 year old. What has society done to our children? They shouldn't have to worry about such things in life.
I still see them both as my little babies, and I know that while they are my babies, they are also growing up into little men. I guess that is the "mother" part of me, wanting to keep them as innocent as I can, for as long as I can. I want them to be allowed to be kids and enjoy all aspects of what being a kid means.
I just hope, like any parent does that Senior and I are preparing them well for the challenges they face as they get older. And no matter the good job we do, ultimately it will be up to them and the decisions they make. As a wise person once told me: "we are the ones in charge of our own destiny"
The conversation ended, but I am still left with worry. I talked to Senior about it, who has also promised to talk with both boys on the subject. I am so very thankful for my Senior. No matter what obstacles we have faced during our marriage, the good, the bad and the ugly. We have always kept it together. I am happy that our boys can see their parents showing emotions with each other, hugging and kissing etc. My mother in law ( god rest her soul) once told me the importance of that , she told me so many couples don't, and that its positive for the children to see the love between their moms and dads. I now think that comment is the root of it all for our society..it all comes down to the family and what kind of family the children have at home. Family is what shapes our children in to the adults they will turn out to be.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

As a father to a three and six year old, I completely understand and share your concerns. The kids grow up to soon nowadays.
ReplyDeleteyes they do. I recall things my sister said to me when our boys were babies...she said "no matter how much they drive you nuts, enjoy it..cause it won't last long".
DeleteDarned if she wasn't right !
K is right! My seven year old is wise beyond her years. Her older sisters are 15 and 12. My 15 year old grew up fairly normal, my 12 year old knows more at 12 than her sister did, and so does my youngest. It's sad and scary. I think tv and movies are the problem, they have to get more and more gruesome, crude, and outrageous just to hold peoples attention. We watched a movie last night that ended with my oldest crying and worring about rape! It was a good time to discuss it with her and we both ended up crying, but I feel like I should get the "bad mom award" for not knowing what kind of movie we were watching! The damn tv is off and staying off at my house for awhile that's for sure! I don't know if them knowing all the bad things is right or wrong, but I was clueless as a teen and got into trouble, so maybe our kids will be more prepared if we talk to them! Who knows!
ReplyDeleteI really try hard to limit how much TV our boys watch. But they see it on the news all the time. How often is it that the lead story is of a child molester? They usually report it before I have had a chance to change the channel or turn it off.
DeleteBut maybe its good that you and your daughter had that talk too. I always stay on top of the boys about adults at school. Last night we were at the neighbors house for an ice cream party. Our oldest had to go potty, and the elderly dad of the homeowner volunteered to show our oldest the bathroom. I knew the gentleman, he is a Godly man, and I put trust in him, however I did have my eagle eye out, and few seconds later I saw him back in the kitchen. and couple minutes later there was our oldest..and all was okay..But still the thought was in the back of my mind...
Molestation onlh takes seconds...the first time. Godly? Ministers, priests, youth workers, all Godly and some are molesters. Church is where I watched my children the closest!
DeleteWell Practical P- given the fact that the wife of the elderly man used to be my third grade Sunday school teacher, and I grew up in the same church where they go to, yes I do know them to be Godly-the entire family are beutiful Christian people, and I can speak for them that they "walk the walk, and talk the talk".
DeleteAnd as much as child molesters are in the church... there are equal numbers, if not more in our school systems, boy scouts, and other youth groups all across this country. I hope you are not inferring that I do not watch my children? because if you are, then its obvious you don't know me.
My husband and I both carry concealed, at all times. He did 20 + years in the military, OPSEC is his middle name, he came out of the military with a special set of skills, that he trains me in. Anyone messes with my family in any way..does not know what they are getting themselves in to. If Some one touches one of my kids, then they just screwed themselves.
An excellent post! When my children were young the worry about drugs was not there, although there were those that tried them. It is very important to speak to our kids about whatever they might have to face as they are in their growing years. I think you and senior are doing a great job.
ReplyDeleteThanks Beth.. ur I believe all these same issues were out there when your kids were coming up, only then it was probably alcohol and cigerettes.
DeleteThe issue now is the media-they just splash it all everywhere.
TY Lonely! and come back often.
ReplyDeleteWe talk about drugs and not taking them all the time! Thanks.
ReplyDelete