~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
After our garage sale on Saturday I found out from the boys former kindergarten teacher that Congressman Ryan would be making a campaign stop in our area today. I was "over the moon" excited, this was huge news for our area, no one famous ever comes here and I did not want to miss the opportunity.
Senior said I could keep the boys out of school, so they could attend. I wanted them to see Mr. Ryan and be a witness to some local history. I was happy and proud to pull the boys out of school today because not only does this affect my generation, but theirs as well....
We went through the gates around 11:45, Ryan was not due to speak until 2pm. But we went with friends and they boys had another little girl to play and chase around. I was pretty proud of both boys, they sat on a blanket and for having to wait 2 hours, they behaved very well.
Some one snuck signs in and the kids got a photo op:
After listening to several local politicans, it was finally time for the Congressman to come out on stage :
He first spoke about the hurricane, and concern for the folks up north. The campaign is dispatching buses to be loaded with relief supplies, and sending them in to the hard hit areas after the danger has passed. He also spoke about our local military and the impact it has. He looked across the crowd, and you felt like he was talking directly to you. He acknowledged all the children there with parents, and reminded us how the current administration is leaving them this mountain of debt. The message he spoke resonated with all of us in attendance. At the end, our applaud was loud and thunderous.
I have been very fortuante over the years to get to see in person our elected officials, in 1988 as a high school senior I got to see Ronald Reagan, then in 2003 George W. Bush came to one of the military bases and spoke. And now today, I can say and so can my children that we got to see Paul Ryan the next Vice President.




Hey JUGM,
ReplyDeleteI was at the 1988 rally as well. But, as a 23 year old. I had jury duty that day & got excused early. Since I "had the day off work", & was with others that worked nights, we got a group together & went downtown to see Reagan. One day that I will always remember!
He was there to speak to all of the high school Seniors. My school got to sit on the floor of the old coliseum, and he was only rows away from us. I remember him wearing a dark brown suit, and being bigger then life. I can still see him standing there and the navy band playing
Delete