After returning from camping yesterday, I was trying to get a jump start on all the laundry, and cleaning, had to wash the Jeep, because it was filthy. Once back in side and doing all the "inside chores" which also included cooking an amazing Corn Beef Brisket with Cabbage...I realized how quiet everything in the house was...
I have learned from experience that when you have 2 boys, and everything gets quiet...something is wrong.
I was then sitting at the computer desk, researching college grant money.. If I do enroll, I am worried about the financial burden. But it is something I really want to accomplish, and I feel that in these uncertain times, and when SHTF, having a nursing degree could really come in handy. Okay, so the house is drop dead quiet, suddenly the oldest walks in, our computer room is also where we keep our food storage. I don't hear anything at first...then it happens :
Oldest: "ummm mommy" ?
Me: " Yes" ?
Oldest: "Look at these metal bags"
I look over and there to my wondering eyes...2 of our Mylar rice bags, had hundreds of pin holes in them. "What The" ??? " How in the heck did that happen"? My initial thought..was the cat...but then the Oldest gets a guilty look on his face, and then I see the thumb tack..
Me: " Did you do this" ?
Oldest: " A little, but brother did it all first"....
FYI: In our house...our Youngest is the leader- he is the one with the brass pair- he knows NO FEAR... Senior and I will have our hands full for many years to come with him.
At that precise time, Senior walks in and turns red, he yells for the youngest.... I proceeded to send the boys straight to their room, no toys, or leapster games. They were to only sit on their bed and think of what they did. They cried how sorry they were, but I had to make them understand the consequences of the action...
After the revelation hit them, they came apologizing...then asked for ice cream. All it took was Senior looking in to those big puppy eyes of theirs before he caved.... And for now, all is back right in our world...Until the house gets quiet again.... : )

They might be eating rice for a few days? ;)
ReplyDeletefortuantly they did not hurt the oxygen eaters, so Senior resealed the rice in new bags...
DeleteHey, what are your thoughts on using 2 liter and 1 liter coke bottles, as opposed to mylar bags, for rice storage?
DeleteJust clean them out and dry, then pour your measured amount of rice and toss in an oxygen absorber, Then twist tight and store in a dark area.
I got both bottles and bags on hand and really need to store some rice away.
We have used 2-liters before and have had no problems. Somewhere there is a past post of mine about the subject. I also know Duke uses those Arizona Ice Tea jugs for food storage as well.
DeleteThanks
DeleteLove it....those boys are just great. I need to get 'em pocket knives.
ReplyDeleteOh HE-- No! the little one with a knife...I shutter at the thought...
DeleteOh Lord....the thought of my two with pocket knives???? its enough to make a person lose sleep,and yes If he did make good on that promise,I Shall send them to him......
Deleteoh i love corned beef and cabbage and usually make it every year for St. Pattie's Day! we missed it this year so i may just have to make it in a week or two! sorry about the rice but glad that you were able to just repackage it! oh and lastly - i think that getting a nursing degree now will be very beneficial to you and your family, and your group, down the road!
ReplyDeleteyour friend,
kymber
Yea we missed it on Saturday, so I made up for it yesterday..we stuffed ourselves silly.
DeleteNot so sure about a nursing degree now...leaning towards a Medical Assistant. Either way, I know I want to do something...
Too much silence is always a dead give-away! HAHA
ReplyDeletemylar
ReplyDeleteGreat job done by author. Information helps me a lot to improve my skills. Thanks for the author for sharing. Please keep posting.