Sunday, July 29, 2012

Kids B.O.B


I have decided, to start working on a project that has been in the back of my mind for quite a while. Currently if  we have to bug out, then Senior and I not only would have to hump our own gear, but the boys as well.
So with that thought in mind. I have purchased them new backpacks for school this year, and am using the old ones they have had for the past two years and turning them in to a kids BOB.

I have to think of ways to keep them both entertained, because whether it is for a natural disaster, man made, or economical reason, once we bug out young kids can get bored. So, in the bags I am working on for the boys, I added some paperback books, a couple of activity books and a mini etch a sketch. And a selection of their favorite Hot Wheels Cars.But, I have told them both the importance of keeping these bags, and it is not to be loaded down with toys.

Food wise, I put in some trail mix bars, bottled waters, and later I will add some beef jerky, and packets of fruit gummies. Senior and I have lots of Datrix bars in our bags, and a water filtration source should the need arise. And in our bags we also carry all the emergency medical supplies.

To maintain some sort of cleanliness and hygiene we put in baby wipes and some travel sized toiletries like toothpaste and a tooth brush.
Our kids like flash lights, so I am giving them their own headlamp + batteries. And we also put in a change of clothes, I will change these out in accordance with the seasons and climate.
Both boys were actually excited to help out in doing this little project. We were at Home Depot a while ago, and the oldest kept pointing out things he wanted to add.
So, having a BOB for kids is something to think about ,and if you havent done it all ready then I hope to have pointed you in the right direction....

5 comments:

  1. What about getting some sugar free drink mix?? Walmart has some that tastes good. I need sugar free and my kids drink it. They have some for 20 oz bottles and others that will make a half gallon.

    I think getting the boys interested is half the battle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didnt think about those, but your right. I get the Energy ones for when i exercise.
      once I said "Flashlights" they were both on board....

      Delete
  2. Yep, it's good to have for a lot reasons. One of the biggest reasons is just getting the kids involved and thinking about survival.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They might be a little young for firearms but maybe a Wrist-Rocket (do they still make those?) Slingshot would be amenable for small-animal hunting and minor camp protection, and maybe a collapsible fishing pole?
    It's like Adventure Camping, only gnarlier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We really need to have these for our 3 and 6 year old. It's been on the back of my mind too.

    ReplyDelete