Sunday, July 15, 2012

Corn Fritters and Collard Greens...


I kept getting the age old question.."Whats for dinner"...  I hear it a hundred times a day. I have never been one to plan out meals, I have tried, but it has never taken hold with me...why I don't know. I guess I am a spontaneous kind of girl.

So, last night I decided to cook something truely southern.
I used to spend my summers up in a little town called Easley, SC. My grandmother would make the most delicious corn fritters known to man. Her fried chicken and mac and cheese wasnt bad either, but there was just something about a stack of her fritters slathered with butter..I feel my arteries clogging as I type this....lol
 When I told the boys about them, they thought the idea of corn in a pancakes was super cool. So, I mixed some up.
 The boys thought this corn fritter came out looking like a bad "bigfoot" print..lol

 Then threw on some home grown collards, and took out some fresh smoked sausauges. hmmmmmmm  To add to the mix, I fried senior up some okra..And of course it was all topped off with sweet ice tea.  Can't go wrong with some good refreshing ice tea on a hot summer day. That also brings back the childhood memories, my grandmothers ice tea was so sweet, we always swore that woman must have put 5lbs of sugar in it. In the evening we would sit together on her porch swing, or chase lighening bugs, and sip on her good tea.
The last batch of my collards I grew over last winter.. hmmmm
So, now here we are its 11am On Sunday and again it all starts over..."Whats for dinner" ???????   : ) 

4 comments:

  1. i'd love your recipe for corn fritters - can't say that i have ever had one but now you got me wanting to try!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh they are super easy...just take a basic pancake mix. Follow directions for the batter. Then take a can of corn, strain the juice out, then add it to the batter.

      Put butter in a frying pan, and spoon batter on to melted butter..so they get a nice crispy buttery edge to them.
      cook them just like you would pancakes...

      serve with syrup, sausage, bacon or any side dish you like.

      ..

      Delete
    2. oh awesome! those are super easy!!! thanks for the recipe, hon!

      your friend,
      kymber

      Delete
  2. Oh my, everything looks so good. My Grandmother's iced tea was the same. I think she added suger & saccarine (a lot of both). You could almost stand a spoon in it.

    ReplyDelete