Thursday, February 16, 2012

My Opinion on the new USS GABRIELLE GIFFORDS

The Secretary of the Navy (SECNAV) has recently incurred much criticism for naming a new littoral class combat ship the USS GABRIEL GIFFORDS. The mother of the little 9 year old girl who was killed during the assassination attempt will serve as the ships sponsor.




Prior to writing this post, I went straight to ‘The Man” for advice. “The Man” being Senior, he does have 20 years navy service under his belt, so who best to answer my question of:  SHOULD A SHIP BE NAMED AFTER HER?

Seniors answer was quick and to the point…NO.

Why No you ask?  Because she has never served in combat, and she is by no means a war hero. It is the Navy tradition to name ships after States, Cities, Famous Battles, Presidents, or War Heroes.
SECNAV has recently strayed away from this tradition; we now have a USS CESAR CHAVEZ, and a USS JOHN MURTHA.  

 It was recently Ret. Major General Tom Wilkerson who has publicly stated his displeasure with this naming. Senior and I agree with him, that we have way too many war heroes out there that are more deserving then Rep. Gifford’s.

How about the recent Medal Of Honor recipient Dakota Meyer? He would be an excellent choice, and in my opinion more deserving.  What about a USS SEAL TEAM SIX?  In honor of those brave Seals who perished in the helicopter accident back in August?  And what about a USS PAT TILLMAN? He was former pro football star of the Arizona Cardinals, who gave up a lucrative NFL career and, enlisted in the Army, only to get killed by friendly fire.
The list here of more deserving individuals could go on and on…

Medal of Honor Receipient Dakota Meyer

I am not saying that Mrs. Gifford’s isn’t a deserving individual, she has made a remarkable recovery, and has beaten the odds, But I am sure there are other ways to memorialize her then putting her name on  a Warship, when she never served…

6 comments:

  1. JUGM - speaking as a veteran, i whole-heartedly agree with you and Senior. 'nuff said!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You... I think its totally messed up, when so many more are deserving of the honor

      Delete
  2. I agree with Senior....Giffords was in the wrong place at the wrong time...she was (is) no hero. Any of the ones you mentioned should have gotten that honor. All I can say further is thank God it wasn't named the USS Obama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no worries, whenever he is out of office, I am sure some liberal democrat on some sort of military board will have the USS OBAMA commissioned...

      Delete
  3. Didn't you hear. Now the Navy is going to name the new inflatable targets that they cast off aft on all ships the S.S. OBAMA. ( S.S. for Stupid Shit) These targets will allow our sailors the chance for payback.

    I do agree that this ship could have been given a better name, U.S.S. Patriot, to honor all of our Vets, living and deceased, who gave to our country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahah Rob! now that is funny... I like your name idea, I also came up with the USS Wounded Warrior ..

      Delete