A good friend that I will call “Kay” and I, walk most every morning after we drop our kids off at school. Her husband works for law enforcement, and is very much like minded when it comes to the second amendment. Kay and I have had many conversations during our walks in reference to the future. She knows that I carry concealed; her husband has been encouraging her to take the class and apply for her permit as well. I like the fact a person in law enforcement feels that way.
She and I have had many a good conversation on the future, but none as eye opening as Thursdays “Walk and Talk”. We were joking abut the “Doomsday Prepper” show on NATGEO, her husband watches out of amusement, she said: “Something is coming not sure what though, and that the American people are about to have a real gut check”. Like most of us, she has a school aged child and a one year old, she and her husband are very concerned about them and the future they may or may not have.
Her brother is a over the road truck driver, he has told her that on average, most stores only keep 1.5-3 days worth of food stocked. And in the event of a collapse or like we are seeing now: higher gas prices, those supplies are going to dwindle down to nothing.
I agreed, and said that is why we have begun to store up foods, and have found the LDS cannery to be very useful.
Kay then told me that she has recently taken it upon herself to start a food storage area in her home, and so far only has about 2 months saved. Her husband has also started an ammo stock pile, as he knows that once you have food stored and SHTF, you need to protect it. I was very excited to hear this. She also inquired about the cannery, such as items you can purchase, and cost.
And then I instructed her on where to purchase and what to look for. I explained that the 10/10.00 at a chain store really isn’t a deal at all. And that you can go to Wal-Mart and, get the Great Value brand cheaper.
I also told her that there are many other items to consider in your stock pile, like water, toiletries, and baby items. If you really think of how much the average person goes through in one day, its mind boggling!
So I am happy to say our “Walk and Talk” ended with her wanting to come with us to the cannery, and meet the good folks and start making purchases. This led me and Senior to start thinking, about what we need to add to our stockpile…one thing is larger sized clothes for our kids, especially shoes. How many of us have thought of that? The good sister at the cannery told us to buy up for at least 1-2 years ahead.
So, I am slowly starting to do so. It helps to have some big named stores going out of business around here and everything is on clearance. Also we are going to check garage sales more, and second hand children stores. I am going to get our boys their own foot locker of sorts, and keep them a nice supply of larger sizes, incase SHTF and we are bugged out for more then a year ( which I hope doesnt happen)...but HEY, ya never know!
Great post...well done.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Stephen.
ReplyDeleteThank You !
DeleteJUGM - you know that i read this post with a smile on my face!!! good work, gurl! please keep it real here on your blog, as well as in person, and you will have done your job! i am really glad to hear that you are getting footlockers for the boys...jambaloney and i have enough clothes and footwear to last a good several years. sadly, that is not due to prepping but due to our lifestyle when we lived in the city!!! at least now we are smart enough to use a few sets of clothes at a time. and wear them out until they fall apart and become "family cloths". and it helps that for several months of the year - we don't wear clothes. it makes them last longer - bahahahahha!
ReplyDeleteanyway - i really enjoy your prepping posts. always come away from them thinking about something in a new light!
your friend,
kymber
Yes definantly working on the footlocker issue for the boys...they are growing so fast, and going through roughly 2 pairs of shoe sizes a year, its hard to keep up. Hit a store today going out of business and got some larger sized T-Shirts. And again, its probably a prepping item that folks with kids are not thinking about.
Delete