Sunday, September 16, 2012

Chicken -N- Dumplings

Gravy is an essential item in my house. I use it in recipes at least 2-3 times per week. It is also an essential item for preppers. Dry gravy mix will add flavor to bland boiled rice, or potatoes and It can also be used to marinade meats.

I was never good at making home made gravies, so for years I would buy the packs from the store.Well at a cost of between .33-.78 per pack, the amount can add up.
So, thank heavens for Emergency Essentials. Because they sell the most tasty brown and chicken gravy mix in the # 10 can. It equals out to about 3 lbs of mix for a price of around $11.73 per can.
Each one offers 170 servings, all you do is  add 1 Tbsp per 1/4 cup of warm water, whisk throughly and heat until desired consistancy is reached.

I was never a big fan of Chicken Gravy, but last night I decided to open the top of our recent purchase, and make some Chicken and Dumplings.




I bought Tyson grilled Chicken Chunks, and Mary B Dumplings ( making dumplings is another things I have not mastered). Poured it all in to the pot with the chicken gravy and let it simmer.
The aroma flooded wafted through the house and lingered until the late evening.

I Served it over a bed of rice and a big glass of sweet tea. We ate so much we couldnt move. It was very good, and very filling.

3 comments:

  1. Let me tell you all, IT WAS GOOD. I ran a cost analysis of the packs from walmart and EE, buying all these small gravy packs from walmart will cost you $29.16 compared to $11.73 from EE for the same amount of gravy. I'm sold

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good, but I net it has gluten:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. gurlie - the trick of a good gravy is to use your own beef stock or chicken stock - very easy to make! let me know if you want my recipes for making stock and/or gravy. you can save a ton of money and it is healthier!

    anyway - the chicken and dumplings still look yummeh! your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete