Saturday, September 8, 2012

Saturday Morning Coffee and the Delima

I couldn't pour my morning coffe in to my cup fast enough, I am grateful for a new fresh day and for the smell of fresh coffee brings to the house. This morning I am thinking of my grandparents plot of land up in Easley. My good for nothing cousin Terri has owned it since their deaths, and in the last year has since stopped paying the property taxes.
If unpaid by 9/28, it will go to auction on 10/1.  The wheels in my head have been turning all week.
Its a matter of sentiment to me. This is the place where most of my happy child hood memories are. The house was burnt down in 2009 and was bulldozed shortly after. It is just a plot of land, and is over grown and unkept. It would be alot of work. However the thought and desire are still there in the back of my head.

My brother  and sister has said if I want it, then they would go in on it with me and help to get it. The back taxes are 193.00 and the current market value is only 360.00. However my brother feels the county is going to want a lot more, maybe a few thousand. I don't want to make the drive all the way up there and end up losing the auction.
I have tried talking to my dad about it, he has no desire to own it, and wishes I would give the idea up. He told my sister it makes no sense to him why we would want it.

It is just a delima that I am in, One hand I know that I live in another state, and could not keep up with it. I know I should just let it go to auction and hope that some nice person gets it and cleans it up. But on the other hand, like I said--It belonged to my grandparents, it is in my blood and family property.
So I sit here by the dinning room window, tapping my fingers away on the keyboard, and wondering what to do, what to do... 


The Old garage seen through the trees. A neighbor took this picture for me
 

14 comments:

  1. I don't envy your position. What would you tell a close friend if they were in the same situation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To think logically and look at the long term picture ( which I have done). To pray about it and if it is something that is still in your heart and mind, then go for it. And imagine how ticked off it would make your crazy cousin if you went in under the radar and got it.

      Delete
  2. If you don't try you won't get it for sure. Then you'll always have that "What If?" in your mind.

    I can't tell you how many times I'd wish I'd had the chance to be in the position you are in at this very moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your advice and wisdom- I really do appreciate it. I know what you are saying about the "What Ifs"... I have some of those myself...

      Delete
  3. JUGM - you know exactly what my advice would be...and my advice would come from the heart.

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would think a few hundred bucks is a small price to pay for some family history, that is if it is only the taxes and value in consideration. Here if there is unpaid taxes one can purchase a tax certificate. You have to keep the taxes up for I think 7 years. If the owner doesn't pay during those years, then the property is yours.

    Id look at it like this too. What if...What if sometimes in the future you need to leave home because the shtf or a devastating storm. It would be nice to have that little piece of property safely tucked away. Like Matt said. If you don't go you are going to lose for sure.

    What does Senior think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is one of the problems, its not farm land, it is in a old residential area, mostly of old Mill Homes. It use to be that the owners of the Textile mills would be housing in and around the factories. My grandparents bought this particular plot in 1959. It is probably about a good 1.5 acres.
      It really wouldnt be purposeful for bugging out, due to the other neighbors.

      Senior is being supportive, and thinks we should probably do it, clean it up and sell it. One of the neighbors have been there as well since the late 50s, and has been trying to buy it from my cousin, but she would never sell to anyone. Now that she has not paid the taxes, they are back interested again.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I know... Every feeling I have tells me the same thing

      Delete
  6. Wow. Not sure how much property it is. But my thoughts are along the same lines as yours. It's """"family"""" property.

    My Dad gave us our Country House property with the stipulation that IF we were to ever sell, then it could only be sold to someone in the family. Even asking us to put in our wills that whoever inherits it also has to do the same thing.

    Yes, it's only land, but no one is making any more of that commodity.

    Good luck with your decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only about 1.5 acres, in an old residential neighborhood. I think its the fact of the matter for me, more of a sentimental reason then anything...

      Delete
  7. If nothing else you could sell it to the right person if you have to.
    They don't make land anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The neighbors have been trying for years to buy the plot, but my nut job cousin would never sell it.

      Delete