Sunday, September 30, 2012

Blogger Cook Off Entry

Cowboy Brisket and Macaroni and Cheese

I start my brisket off with my own home made rub  consisiting of:

crushed chili pepper
red pepper,
black pepper
dry mustard,
garlic powder
a bit of sugar
and last but not least
Coffee...  Yes Coffee! it actually makes a great rub for beef.

And if you want a good marinade for meat, try some "Johnny Walker Red Label"....excellant !

I did not add measurements of any of the spices, because I do not measure anything, it is pretty much a pinch here, or a pinch there, blend it all together and do a small taste test..add more if you wish.


I saturate the meat with Olive Oil and massage the rub in, cover with foil and place it in the fridge. The Olive Oil keeps the meat juicy, and helps the rub to stick. Let it sit overnight soaking in all those seasonings.
The next morning, Senior cranks up the smoker..Its an all day affair. Hickory chips work great, let it smoke for 7-8 hours at about 250-300.

 
Once its off the smoker, and in the fashion of the great Johnny Trigg, we take the electric knife and cut...nice smoke ring!
 


 

Now, its cut, and juices running out, I serve it with a side of my grandmothers Macaroni and Cheese. Have it with a cold Corona or a glass of red wine from my favorite winery..either way it is DELISH!!!!!

Macaroni and Cheese:

It is my nansons recipe and a staple in our house..I must make it a few times a month, and on every holiday.

1 pound box of Ziti or Ready Cut Noodles
1 pound of mild cheddar cheese, cut in to squares
1 small can of evaporated milk,
1 pack of shredded mild cheddar cheese

Boil the noodles, chop the cheese, grease a cassarole dish, throw the noodles in and pour on the evaporated milk. Add the cheese. Bake in the Oven on 425 until cheese is bubbly and the top of pasta is getting toasted. Take out of oven, cover top with shredded cheese...place back in the oven until melted. Take out, let cool and serve...  hmmmmm

And Never be afraid to add more cheese if you wish...the more the merrier...

7 comments:

  1. Okay, you have my mouth watering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does look really good. I am a huge roast or chunk of meat fan anyway and Mac n Cheese forget about it. soooo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love me a good brisket. Anything on the grill is tops in my book! I recently made my first mac & cheese ever. My poor kids always got the boxed stuff growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My group of guys have tasted my cooking, and the brisket I cooked that time, I was lucky to get one slice. I sure wish the blogisphere has a "smelling" option.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to try your mac n cheese recipe! My little one loves that stuff. Your brisket looks good, my neighbor smokes a bunch of meat about once a month and shares with us it's awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I make the mac n cheese, I only use the small 4oz can of evaporated milk. walmart sells it.And even then, I use only about 1/2 -3/4 of it.- If you use too much of the milk, then it will be real runny.

      If I am making a larger one for family get togethers or holidays, then I double my recipe and use 1/2 of the larger can.

      Delete
  6. that brisket looks amazing! so does the mac and cheese! now i'm starving! congrats on your win JUGM!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete